? Artwork setup fee

The water cooler is a great area to just have off-topic conversations and meet forum members.

? Artwork setup fee

PostPosted by CColors » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:14 pm

Is is standard practice to charge a onetime artwork setup fee to a school? I am going to waive it this time and show it on the quote as a discount but is it usually charged? I spent a LOT of time prepping these files for my cutter. :?:
CColors

Re: ? Artwork setup fee

PostPosted by Dixie's Chick » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:27 pm

I think this is totally up to you. I will say for me if it is something they are going to buy lots of, I would forget it. and with sticky flock it really is a non issue since it is all designed to mix and match and work together. You should be building the time it takes to make something into the sale of the item. The time it takes you to cut the files to me is part of offering the service and again built into the sale of your item.

Now design fee is something different. If they are looking for something you have to design or make happen by buying the file, I would charge that money as a design fee. But the exception for me is if it something I can use again, example, it took me more than2 hours to find a font that would work to fit wrestling on the back of a hat. Time well spent as now I know swimming, rowing, and opt her long name sports will work.
-Linda
Sparkle-Gear
Dixie's Chick

PostPosted by debrapayne » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:42 pm

I never charge a set up fee, either for screen printing or rhinestoning. I feel like I get good enough prices to pay for any time I put into the design. For example, just had an embroidery design digitized for an organzation. Cost me $95. The guy loved it and wants to offer it on their nationwide website. I also picked up a 200 t shirt screen print order and invitation to be at the national convention in Nashville. Well worth the $95 I spent to get a great design. JMHO
Debra Payne
Designs by Deb
debrapayne

PostPosted by CColors » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:47 pm

Deb, Where to you get your digitizing done? I also have a request for a embroidered logo, which I am going to have to pass that sale on to a local embroiderer.

Thanks
Tonya
CColors

PostPosted by Dixie's Chick » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:58 pm

Boy my above post is quite the ramble, really should limit my multitasking to 3 things.

I agree, no set up fee, I will charge for a specific design if I know it is going to be a 1 off and not usable again for anyone else or they are not coming back for more.

Happy that deal worked out for you Deb, I know you were a bit of a wreck waiting on that one!
-Linda
Sparkle-Gear
Dixie's Chick

PostPosted by debrapayne » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:51 pm

Tonya, you might want to check with your embroiderier. They may be able to digitize it for you. I can but just didn't have the time to spare to get it to him in the timeframe he needed. I used www.prodigitizing.com for this one and I must say, although I about swallowed my tongue when he told me what it cost, it was beautifully done. too, this design had about 80,000 stitches.

Nope Linda, this one didn't have me a wreck. LOL I am too consumed with the Tornament. LOL He is nice guy and my computer doctor. Got to come up with a bling for the lady members!!! Pool shooter Assoc.
Debra Payne
Designs by Deb
debrapayne

PostPosted by deanambro101 » Wed May 17, 2017 5:02 am

It is not quite useful that charging a setup fee at initial point. I have worked with some of digitizing companies who really charge a setup fee. But the reality is that, this shouldn’t be done by them. Because according to my perspective that was an opportunity for them to caught up and replicate their quality of service skill apparently to customers. But mostly I haven’t seen like this or anyone is doing instead of bigger brand because they have realized that it is first and foremost chance for them to get in touch forever. I personally use https://zeedigitizing.com who really don’t care about any setup fee or any additional or hidden charges. I am happy with them all the time.
deanambro101

Return to (The Water Cooler) General Off-Topic Discussions