Newbie hello

Welcome to the TRW Forum. Please tell us a little about yourself here. We look forward to help your business!!

Newbie hello

PostPosted by PaulineM71 » Wed May 20, 2015 1:18 pm

Hi my name is Pauline and I'm a newbie to this forum and to the business. I have been doing a lot of research and have a question. I don't have a lot of cash on hand right now so I was wondering if I could startup some business if I were to just purchase a heat press right now and purchase heat tranfers to start business? Is this possible or will it be to expensive this way? Thanks for any advice. Also is a Cricut Expression good enough to start off with?

Pauline
PaulineM71

Re: Newbie hello

PostPosted by Dixie's Chick » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:17 pm

Welcome! If you haven't found us in fb come check out the page..look for crafting with rhinestones and vinyl hosted by the TRW crew....see you there
-Linda
Sparkle-Gear
Dixie's Chick

Re: Newbie hello

PostPosted by Spirit Sparkle » Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:40 am

Hi Pauline!

Linda is right, the forum quieted down once the FB page went up. I personally wouldn't start with the Cricut, not sure about the new ones but the old Cricuts definitely didn't support this type of work. Chec the type of files the Cricut needs to have to cut because the old one you had to use a program that had a high learning curve. The silhouette Cameo might be a better opinion. Matt sells them and has tutorials on them I believe, you are going to find its the designing programs that can be expensive, watch some of Matt's videos on Corel and Stone Wizard. However, if you are starting just using TRW's designs, I don't think you need to get a design program just yet.

The heat press is important and you can save some money, I think of it as a big iron. Try and get a 16 X 20 or as big as you can afford. Stay away from small, craft ones, they don't normally have a temp gauge or timer built in and those are helpful (trust me). I have a 16 X 20 with a temp gauge and timer, no other bells or whistles, cost me about $450 and since it was local in California, I picked it up saving me shipping (the press has some weight to it)

As for pre-made transfers, I don't recommend it. I thought about the same when I started and bought a few and the quality wasn't there. They might look like the picture but definitely not worth it. If you can afford the cutter, look at buying some of the pre-made templates. You can use them again and again if you take care of them so they pay for themselves and get you started. I started with a pre-cut ultimate sports pack and used it enough for it to pay for itself.

Also, what out on stone since all rhinestone quality are not the same, you can have glue issues that will ruin your work, trust me! Matt has a good quality stone that he has done research on which makes our lives easier.

I hope this helps! Have fun stoning!! Welcome to the TRW family!!

Maggie
Maggie
Spirit Sparkle
Spirit Sparkle

Return to Welcome to The Rhinestone World! Please introduce yourself here: