Is your business really profitable…...

The water cooler is a great area to just have off-topic conversations and meet forum members.

Is your business really profitable…...

PostPosted by mclex16 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:28 pm

Hi all, newbies here so apologies in advance of any questions out of line….Lots of questions asked and a lot of great answers already so figured we might as well press our luck with the question of profitability. How profitable is this area in the grand scheme of things. We are not looking for full time income replacement if we were to loose our day jobs (although that would be nice) but wondering what expectations do most set when just starting out and how close to those expectations have you come. We are entering into this more from our interest and the fun behind the creative side so again not looking for income replacement but hey could this really turn into a full time profitable business as oppose to a part time hobby venture….Just looking to hear and read those stories…Was it the worse decision ever or best decision or just a so-so one….things like that…..

Thanks again!!!!
mclex16

Re: Is your business really profitable…...

PostPosted by Jesserc » Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:41 pm

Welcome. I'll tell you that I am exactly in your boat. I do it strictly for interest and still is primarily a hobby for me. I think that there is enough market out there to sustain you with a full time job if you were out there seeking work and good at what you do. Right now, I have to refrain from posting on facebook and turn down some work because its just overwhelming at times. With that said I only do it on evenings and weekends due to my full time job.

If I were to do this full time, I would probably charge a bit more. Definately charge for all design time and I would probably focus on a age/niche group. I find designing for women is where the moneys at, and so right now I focus on that niche market. If it were full time job, I probably would have to be open to accepting any kind of work, as any work is better that no work. LOL. Having it as a hobby right now allows me the freedom to say "not now". Some day I do aspire to take this full time, but definitely with a strategic plan.
-- Jesse
GCC Puma III
Cameo
Corel/Wizard/Studio Designer Edition
Jesserc

PostPosted by kamgrfx » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:16 pm

Well, this is interesting indeed. I am sure all of us have a different story, and so many different factors come into play. So to start out let me start with my story.

As a short: I start because my brother had lost all he had. He was living in arizona. I decided to go get him and move him in with me. So i bought all the equipment and all to get him some income coming in. He is computer illiterate 100%. So i got him a place at a local flea market, where i would go with him every weekend. So basically i was working 7 days a week and i kept this up for 5 years. It got to a point where we were doing really good, yet i was still working 5 days a week. Still not enough to replace my income. I actually do not think i can find anything else to really replace what i make now.

So what this all means is that we did make money, i recovered my initial expenses in about 3 months. Not bad i would say, yet at this time i was not doing rhinestones at all. Now that by brother has a good job, i sold my old equipment and bought new ones to proceed with the rhinestone business plus all the other regular vinyl stuff i can do.

I suppose if i had the time to dedicate to it i could turn it into a highly profitable business. Since i have to work to keep insurance because my love got sick, i cannot go that route, but if i could i would have.

To break it down when my brother was around we would average between 2k to 5k a week, and this was just sign related stuff. If i had rhinestones i would easily tripled that. Both by brother and i are damn good at selling. I thank the good lord for giving us that gift. Plus we are honest people. We would not have it any other way. It's in our core foundation.

So to answer your question: Is it profitable??? YES IT IS!. You are your own destiny, and if you believe that you can do it, then by all means you can do it! Can you do it as a hobby and make money??? YES YOU CAN!. I do it now, and i make money with very little effort!. The design sells itself! Bling Bling ROCKS! Literally! hahahaha.

Bottom line is have fun enjoy it and have a blast doing it. There is no other way!

I hope i sort of helped here. It's just one of those things that sometimes you need to know it all to understand what it is all about. The key thing here is are you out to replace your income, or to just have some fun and make some extra cash while you can?. Theses factors all depend on you. You need to decide what level you want to take this too.
Alex
Kameleon Graphix
kamgrfx

PostPosted by Jesserc » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:02 am

Great story. I agree with your on so many points.
-- Jesse
GCC Puma III
Cameo
Corel/Wizard/Studio Designer Edition
Jesserc

PostPosted by mclex16 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:16 am

Jesse and Kam - Thanks to the both of you for sharing these stories! They are both very helpful in reassuring us that the ROI is what you make it (as with anything) with unlimited potential. We are not looking to replace our income but hey who wouldn't want to turn a fun hobby into a sustainable business, right :) So many ideas float the internet nowadays and it makes you (or at least us) skeptical to say the least as to what to believe and who is just trying to sell you the "next greatest thing". When we here stories like your's it takes the edge off the hesitation factor just a bit….Thank you both again!!!
mclex16

Return to (The Water Cooler) General Off-Topic Discussions