Will a Cameo do what I am looking for?

Post any questions here on Silhouette Cameo & SD Cutters.

Will a Cameo do what I am looking for?

PostPosted by smellylittlemonkeys » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:08 pm

I have been looking over the TRW videos on YouTube. I would love to be able to make some vinyl decals as well as do some HTV shirts, along with some bling shirts. My daughter is in competitive cheer and my son does karate so we are always needing shirts to wear to their competitions and tournaments. I am also hoping to be able to make a little extra cash to help pay for their activities.

I would LOVE to be able to jump in and get a bigger cutter along with the TRW stone wizard and corel draw. However the bank account isn't that padded. :lol:

If I were to get the Cameo, what software do you use to download and cut the files that are for sale on TRW? Would I be able to manipulate designs? I know the TRW Wizard would allow for a whole lot more flexibility.

So with the Cameo I would want to be able to do the trapping method because everyone in cheer of course loves the glittery stuff and I know you can't layer the glitters. I would want to be able to cut out the sticky flock designs that are on the TRW site. I would also like to be able to make my own designs to cut with the sticky flock. Say if there was a certain word that I wanted to do on a tshirt in rhinestones can I design my own sticky flock? Will I be able to cut my own on sticky flock that can be two tone. What programs will do this with the Cameo w/o having to buy Corel and the Stone wizard (eventually I hope to have the funds to buy those).

I appreciate any help!
smellylittlemonkeys

Re: Will a Cameo do what I am looking for?

PostPosted by Dixie's Chick » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:39 am

You certainly can do everything you want with a cameo and the de software. You can pick up Funtime or make the cut or even winpc12 to work directly with the cameo for better software. Do some checking to confirm compatability if these interest you.

Trapping is all about the inline and outline tools. Matt just automated it in the wizard. You can do it in most software, you may just have to thinks out where you want the I lines and outlines.
-Linda
Sparkle-Gear
Dixie's Chick

PostPosted by smellylittlemonkeys » Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:10 pm

Thank you so much Linda!!
smellylittlemonkeys

PostPosted by Dixie's Chick » Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:30 pm

You're welcome :-)
-Linda
Sparkle-Gear
Dixie's Chick

PostPosted by purpleroses72 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:30 pm

Before I got Corel, I did a lot of work in Inkscape (free). It handles larger files nicely, like if you downloaded an entire alphabet from TRW and needed to break it in to more manageable size pieces for the Cameo to cut. The drawback of the Silh. DE software is that it REALLY doesn't like a lot of rhinestone circles to cut. Too many small cuttable things, and it freezes or goes super slow. I have a very fast computer, so it's not that. I can send 2 rows of 12" width rhinestone alphabet letters to the cameo easily. 3 rows of letters, not so well. 4 rows of lettering - nope, too much info for the Sil DE software to handle.

The advantage of designing in Inkscape is that you can save the files as svg and use them in other softwares, including being able to import them into the cameo for cutting and later into Corel if you upgrade. And it's FREE!
purpleroses72

PostPosted by smellylittlemonkeys » Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:20 pm

purpleroses72 wrote:Before I got Corel, I did a lot of work in Inkscape (free). It handles larger files nicely, like if you downloaded an entire alphabet from TRW and needed to break it in to more manageable size pieces for the Cameo to cut. The drawback of the Silh. DE software is that it REALLY doesn't like a lot of rhinestone circles to cut. Too many small cuttable things, and it freezes or goes super slow. I have a very fast computer, so it's not that. I can send 2 rows of 12" width rhinestone alphabet letters to the cameo easily. 3 rows of letters, not so well. 4 rows of lettering - nope, too much info for the Sil DE software to handle.

The advantage of designing in Inkscape is that you can save the files as svg and use them in other softwares, including being able to import them into the cameo for cutting and later into Corel if you upgrade. And it's FREE!

So after you have used Inkscape to save the files as svg and import them into Cameo does the Cameo handle the cutting better? Or do you still have trouble with the 4 rows of lettering? I am trying not to break the bank. My husband looks at me like :shock: when I mention some new crafty adventure haha

I found a Cameo for $100, neighbor had it and wasn't using it. I am going to upgrade to the Studio Designer Edition, I have downloaded Inkscape and my next decision is what heat press and what size to get. Is a 15x15 a good starting size? Thank you for your help!
smellylittlemonkeys

PostPosted by purpleroses72 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:57 pm

Inkscape is good for file manipulation and designing, though there is definitely a learning curve! The Sil. DE software cannot handle large files. Say you bought a download Arial alphabet from TRW and wanted to cut all the letters. You open the file in Inkscape, move the letters around to get an approximate 4-5"x11.5" file ...which is about 2 rows of 2" letters that will fit on a 12" wide piece of sticky flock. Save the 2 rows of letters in an svg file and open it in the Sil DE software and send it to the cutter.

If you were to try to open the entire 26 letter alphabet, it is probably 1) too big for the 12"x12" cutting mat, and 2) WAY to many rhinestones for the Sil DE software to not choke on. I always use my cutting mat, but I know plenty of people don't. It just works for me!

If you have a different design, like one that is 8"x8" with 3 layers that is NOT completely filled with rhinestones, DE would work fine, but you have to cut each 8"x8" template separately anyway since the cameo is only 12" wide. Use Inkscape to save each template individually before sending it to DE.

To design, Inkscape works. It takes awhile, so be prepared to read a lot of tutorials. Everything I learned in Inkscape, helped me later learn Corel. If you watch Matt's tutorials, there are several functions that work similarly in Corel and Inkscape. They just have slightly different names, so you have to figure it out. I used it long enough to know that this was a good business decision to move to the Stone Wizard/Corel when I had made enough $. Inkscape is a very powerful, and importantly FREE program to start with. I still use it for certain things that I haven't figured out in Corel!
purpleroses72

PostPosted by purpleroses72 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:02 pm

If you want to do HTV and Glitter decals, and shirts, Linda has far more experience than I and suggested other softwares that many work for you.

My only reason for using Inkscape was that I didn't want to work so hard in designing and have it stuck permanently in the studio DE format since DE won't save back to SVG. Then I couldn't use the design in another program and I knew I wanted to upgrade later if my business worked out. I really only use the DE software to send things to the cutter. Very little designing in it.

You can do plenty on a 15x15 press. A bigger one is nicer, but do what you can afford first.
purpleroses72

Return to Silhouette Cameo & SD Cutter Questions