Weekly Chat July 14-July 31, 2014

The water cooler is a great area to just have off-topic conversations and meet forum members.

Weekly Chat July 14-July 31, 2014

PostPosted by Dixie's Chick » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:03 am

Morning and Happy Monday,

Last week we only had 3 posts on the weekly. I would love to have more people post but I know I can't make you.

Should I continue the weekly? make it a monthly? we are here to help and support each other, it has been nice to get to know some of you over time.
-Linda
Sparkle-Gear
Dixie's Chick

Re: Weekly Chat July 14 2014

PostPosted by Spirit Sparkle » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:34 pm

Happy Monday to you, Linda!

I like that we post here and see and hear what people are doing. I've been on other forums and what always has drawn me back is how active this forum was. I have to admit reading the struggles and the successes help keep me working on this venture!

I hope everyone had a good weekend. I've spend the last couple of weekends sans a car. Last week it went in for service and to have the serpentine belt and oil pan replaced (the car is 10 years old and hasn't had problems before this). Well, they evidently don't balance your tires when the rotate them (odd, 'cuz I always thought they did). Anyway, I was on the freeway last week and when I got up to about 75mph, it was like I was holding a shake weight! So, back in this weekend for them to balance the tires (and to tell me I will be needing tires soon)

Worked on some patterns but my cutter is in an office that is 9 miles away so didn't get anything cut. One is the monogram for my DeWalt. The lady with the cheer design keeps changing or tweaking it, she is fast becoming a PITA! Another wants a t-shirt design on a hat, she figured it wouldn't be hard to make is smaller and put it on the brim and hat. There are a couple of others but, sheesh! They at least just want a design I have but want it on a particular shirt, that I don't stock and have to charge a premium for.

My niece and her friends wanted a design to represent their school (small Catholic school), they came up with the design using Matt's shield idea. Just school's initials and mascot name, simple and clean, they just want it on the back of a navy warm up jacket. My sister is trying to get the girls to add rhinestones and they aren't having it...at all! :-) They wanted something other than the approved hoodie to wear for events/sports outside the school, that wouldn't upset the principal or parish priest. Again, need to get over to the office to cut the design!
Maggie
Spirit Sparkle
Spirit Sparkle

PostPosted by Dixie's Chick » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:01 pm

Hi Maggie! Sorry about the car. we have a 2004 and a 2006. the 06 just needed an oil pan too. I like i so much better when they don't need fixing. I hope you get to that cutter soon, its an itch that need to be scratched.

It might be easy to explain that a tee shirt design in 10 inches and hat gives you about 1/2 the space. I will usually tell people a hat design is a new design.

Full swing on the kitchen. Plumber was in today. I have running water! WOOT!

it has been hard to be in the shop with the "sky falling" but I have managed to get it all done. Hubby had me work up a whole bunch of designs for a fundraiser. She has disappeared like a fart in the wind. Same with a repeat customer who I took about 3 hours to do a design for. frustrating to say the least. I did do a large order for a spartan race. I have never heard of it before, but there ya go. It will be in Boston in August and actually looks like fun.

the boy is teaching at a karate at a karate camp this week. Glad to have him out of the house :-)

I think it may take me weeks to get all the dust up from the house. it is everywhere! Anyway, back to cleaning.
-Linda
Sparkle-Gear
Dixie's Chick

PostPosted by Zorz » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:01 am

I've been reading your Weekly Chat posts, and this last week I've actually felt like things are going great in my new business venture. I was busy all week creating a new design, got the template cut and got my shirts down in time for delivery. The best part was seeing my customers reaction and telling me she's gonna order more.
Eileen
Zor's Blingz & More
Zorz

PostPosted by Dixie's Chick » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:42 am

Eileen, that's awesome! Post a picture? I personally take pictures of all finished items. It helps me remember what I made (mind like a sieve) and it' same test way to show potential customers what you have done.

My focust today is the downstairs of my house and make it look less like a war zone. No contractors today, waiting on the plumbing and electrical inspections. The new pendant lights were hung yesterday and I am I. Love :-) so pretty

Anyway, lots to do including making coffee in my new kitchen :-). Have a good one, stop by and say hello.
-Linda
Sparkle-Gear
Dixie's Chick

PostPosted by Julie » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:22 am

Morning all,

Linda, Sounds like the living in a war zone kitchen is paying off for you!! Would be nice to see it completed ;)
and please do continue with the weekly chats, while i don't reply on them every day i do come on and see whats going on ;)

Sorry about the car issues Maggie, car problems can really meddle with life, hope you got it all sorted now. Reminds me, mine has to go in to have a part fitted, it's a pain as the dealership is a hour away!!

So, I'm trying to find a 40th birthday pressy for my bff.. I'm normally great at these things and come up with great gifts (it's a natural talent lol), but I AM stumped!!! Can't think of a thing. any ideas?

Prepping for a event for next week, 5 days and again the next week, same event just a different crowd. All Baseball related. But this is a out doors event, thinking I might not actually make tee's on sight and just take orders and get them shipped. I could just leave one of the girls in the hotel making tee's and send her the orders as they come in? Also about to do the signage for the gazebos we have, not done anything like this before so hoping i don't royally F it up lol

Right, got to crack on folks...

Laters
Life is so sweet when you have the perfect weed!
WinPc 2012
UsCutter
Julie

PostPosted by Spirit Sparkle » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:52 am

Eileen that is always nice! Congrats and I hope it keeps coming for you!

Linda, I can't wait to get to that stage on the remodel! I still have to go back to plan check with the new drawings before we can start demo, just need to figure when I can take a day.

Car is running fine, now I just need to replace the headliner at one point. Has anyone else had the problem with the headliner falling? I have a Toyota and I swear they used a low tack glue to hold the fabric up and with heat and time the edges have released and its falling. I'm afraid of using a high tack glue on the foam and it destroying the foam if I can find someone to replace the fabric, the foam is still in good shape.

Julie, I have problems everything time picking presents for bffs or just friends! I've thought I picked the right thing (shoot, they were giving hints) and they don't use it! Got smart last year, she wanted a new media center for a new TV she got. I gave her cash (total cop out but my idea of a media center is different that hers), she hadn't bought it so I figured she used the money somewhere else (her partner has been laid off and they could use cash). Found out last week she had tucked it away and decided to go with the nicer media center and had been adding to what I gave her (she saw the light about real wood vs. presswood.

Gotta get back at it! Talk later :-)
Maggie
Spirit Sparkle
Spirit Sparkle

PostPosted by Dixie's Chick » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:38 am

WOW, Thursday already?
Julie, still about 2 weeks out on completion. I need to wait for the upper cabinets and then the upper and lower trim, and under cabinet lighting.

Maggie, be careful using "private" school names on stuff you make. They own their name. Some catholic schools fall into this category.

I finished up all may making an pressing this morning. A custom really simple text design knocked off too. I hope she picks what I have shown her AND orders the number she "says" she wants :-)

Now it's time to focus back on getting the house clean and kitchen put away! For the most part, the living room and dining room are looking better, my front hall is put back together. Less of a trash dump and more of a front hall. I took the plunge and ordered the cabinet hardware! I swear it feels like getting married and a HUGE commitment to drill holes in my brand new cabinets! In the end we are going with an oiled bronze knob on a dark cherry cabinet. It seems the least intrusive and a little less scary than choosing something ultra modern, which is what I would really like, but in the end I caved to the hubby cuz I love him and want to stay married :-)

OK, back to some unpacking and putting away.
-Linda
Sparkle-Gear
Dixie's Chick

PostPosted by xtremebling1 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:57 am

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the rhinestone business and was wondering if anyone has suggestions for true to size fitted ladies shirts to use for rhinestone designs. Preferably longer length with a variety of colors. Also, does anyone know if junior fit really means that the shirts fit smaller?
xtremebling1

PostPosted by Dixie's Chick » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:03 pm

check the bella Missy shirts for true to size. I like the fruit of the loom HD, they have a v and a crew neck, and hanes has good sizing. LAT is another brand. Pay attention to the JR on the LAT.

Some jr fit are really jr. others are just small. I think it really helps to know your own sizing so you can see where you fit on size charts when looking t shirts. Some size charts i am am M others i am a 2xl. if I know where i fit, it means I can better fit my customers.
-Linda
Sparkle-Gear
Dixie's Chick

PostPosted by xtremebling1 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:05 pm

That's good advice. Thank you so much you have been so helpful.
xtremebling1

PostPosted by Dixie's Chick » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:34 am

Xtreme, You are more then welcome.
-Linda
Sparkle-Gear
Dixie's Chick

PostPosted by Spirit Sparkle » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:14 pm

Hey Linda, you're right. Typically on the owning of names I am really careful but there is history with these guys. I had talked to the retiring principal a while ago and he said they hadn't and given him a copy the first design shield (he was fine with it). It somehow got used for a design for a shirt on one of the clubs at the school (the incoming principal's group, FYI). Whoever made it used a vinyl that peeled up within 2 washings (according to a parent) and a pretty bad shirt (color faded fast) so there was no way I wanted to use that design. But beyond that, they haven't done anything to licensed anything. I asked that of some of the schools (middle and high schools) around me and got blank looks. It's frustrating since I'm finding out they have 'borrowed' mascots for the most part, so I figure if I ever do anything with their mascots, I need to find out who I get the license from.
Maggie
Spirit Sparkle
Spirit Sparkle

Re: Weekly Chat July 14-July 27 2014

PostPosted by Dixie's Chick » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:23 pm

Maggie, I have done some of the party sales stuff. I just don't post it on my website. I supose I could get more customers if I did, but I don't want to run the risk.
I am sorry I didn't start a new chat today, I am going to carry this over for another week. I hit the ground running. 3 custom logos over night, Not anything easy either. I am going to have to rethink pricing on this stuff. SOO not worth it for one shirt ( or 5 for that matter) they vectorized like crap which means I have to redraw, anyway one from a return customer who before I knew better ran me ragged. I won't do it this time.

I met with a new customer this morning. A yoga studio next town over. She seems nice and will use my "stock"items for a little bit until she get more going. YEAH, I love these yoga studios :-)

Kitchen, well we still have not moved in. with the upper not here yet, I just can't figure out where stuff is going to go. so one pot, one pan and silverware is as far as I have gotten.

OK back to the misery of logos...sigh. :-)
-Linda
Sparkle-Gear
Dixie's Chick

PostPosted by Julie » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:44 am

Morning,

It's been a long week. I remembered on the 20th that I had forgot about the anniversary of my mother passing on the 10th of this month. Been beating myself up ever since, it's only been 8 years... How on earth could my life have been so occupied as to forget??? Any who, I had words with her and I think shes cool with it lol.

Been busy with my girl since coming back from the UK, done lots of girly things, watched lots of tv while snuggled up on the sofa (even tho she is 17 she loves mummy cuddles) (I love them to ;0) ), lots of shopping with a little more of "Back to school" shopping to do for her senior year!!

Work has been a little slow as I have been so distracted by her (I don't care one little bit and not complaining), I will catch up once shes gone.

Had a tooth filling fall out last week and I'm about to start suffering, the tooth has a sharp edge which is cutting away at the inside of my mouth (mind you, can't be too bad as I'm still eating lol), can't go to the dentist as I am the 'WORLDS BIGGEST DENTIST BABY" They can put a mirror in my mouth and that's it, don't even put your finger in my mouth without knocking me out somehow before hand... ) Have had this done several times now and it's great).

Linda, Have you watched any of those "organize your kitchen" videos? Found some great tips on a few of them and put them into practice. Might give you some ideas on where to put what ;)

Right, off to throw myself a pitty party for being so pitterful today lol
WinPc 2012
UsCutter
Julie

PostPosted by Dixie's Chick » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:04 am

Good Morning!
Julie, enjoy your time with your daughter. and stop being a baby about the dentist. you have one set of teeth. Take care of them

Boy came back from the dentist yesterday $375 for a filling. in his hand he had a bag full of 1/2 priced candy. NOT PLEASED!

Busting my butt on custom logos this week. the yoga studio, i did a full work up of 4 designs and a hat design. Waiting to hear back from her. Passion parties? hear of them? me either ;-) Advocare and 2 school logos. At least the school logos are for hoodies and she wants 10, is that a whole volleyball team?

Boy is taking an AP Spanish class this week and headed to the cape with a friend for the weekend. Lucky him! I think I am going to start unpacking some boxes in the kitchen, I really am sick of take out/eating out. I suck at cooking, but something home made sounds much better. It may help that my bar stools come today so after i get those put together, we can actually EAT in the kitchen. OH and my college boy will be home next weekend (I hope) I miss him so much!

OK back to work, one more logo today, then I am calling it quits!
-Linda
Sparkle-Gear
Dixie's Chick

PostPosted by Julie » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:32 pm

Linda...

NOPE LOL I will not!! I have such a bad gag reflex that I have to concentrate just having a boiled sweet in my mouth for any length of time. Also, as a child my dentist took out my Adult teeth instead of my Baby teeth and left me to deal with it. Not had brilliant experiences with them at all.. Oh, there was that time that I was having a filling and they were giving me the injection in which the needle broke off in my mouth!!!

Nope, bloody hate it and will put it off till the very last minute, more so at HOW MUCH FOR A FILLING!!!

Just picked up a Baseball league in Florida with a dozen teams on it and all the moms want to match!! Can you say YES THANK YOU!! Easy multi media designs with add ons for the back!!

My Grandson just had his first visit to Hospital, seems silly to say but he has am infection in his fingers which is starting to spread!! I'm sure he will be just fine, sent home with lots of Antibiotics...
Looking at flights now as it's well over due for me to see him again!! Might wait till the kids all go back to school, flights will be a fraction of the price then.

Super excited ;)
WinPc 2012
UsCutter
Julie

PostPosted by Dixie's Chick » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:59 am

Julie, small dental problems turn into large dental problems, just say in'

Happy Saturday, lounging in bed this morning answering emails and surfing the web. I have an order of hoodies to get out on Monday and some singles. Just not motivated at the moment because I have the whole house to myself. The boy has gone to cape cod for the weekend and hubby is out playing golf....silence is golden. I might just unpack a box or 3 in the kitchen.
-Linda
Sparkle-Gear
Dixie's Chick

Re: Weekly Chat July 14-July 31, 2014

PostPosted by Dixie's Chick » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:16 am

I am absolutely not ready to dive I to this week! Stress is really high. I need this kitchen done!

My boy comes home this weekend. I miss his really badly. He should be home for 3 or 4 weeks which will be wonderful. The younger boy is home this week. I really need some help in the shop and looks like he is it. I hate working with him sometimes. He can be really moody!

Off to dunkin donuts, I have a hoard of teen boys that slept over last night, they need something when they get up right?

Drop in, say hi! I think we should go to a monthly chat? It will hang around a little longer and more people can post? Thoughts?
-Linda
Sparkle-Gear
Dixie's Chick

PostPosted by Zorz » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:05 pm

Hello Ladies! Happy Tuesday!

Sounds like lots of buzz is happening... This is the first week I've got a handful of customers ordering designs. This make me excited!

Still in the process of getting organized with my business!

Been working on getting my website going, so I've got a question, for your designs with Vinyl do you up-charge for Glitter vinyl vs Easyweed? Trying to determine stuff for my site.

Thanks!
Eileen
Zor's Blingz & More
Zorz

PostPosted by Char » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:18 pm

I don't know when the last time I was on prob somewhere around early May when husband had his 6 by pass surgery. Things were going fine, until June 7th when I broke my ankle (both sides). I had two surgeries one on 6/7 and one on 6/26. Truthfully this is the first time I've been here that it did not hurt my foot not to be up. Anyway.. just wanted to touch base with everyone. Hope all are having a great summer. I won't be walking on this foot for another month.
Char
Winpc 2014
Bling Things
Artisan cheesemaker
Animal Trainer
Char

PostPosted by Dixie's Chick » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:22 pm

Aww Char! When it rains it pours...heal quickly. Hope hubby is doing well.
-Linda
Sparkle-Gear
Dixie's Chick

PostPosted by Julie » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:39 am

Morning folks

Sorry I have been MIA, Monday morning my daughter and I decided to be a little impulsive and took a small road trip to St Augustine Florida, got back last night.
What a lovely place filled with just lovely people and lots of history. Nice place to stop at for just a couple of days.

Char, That's awful, not like you didn't have enough to deal with already. We appreciate you popping in and here's hoping to a speedy recovery for you both x

Zorz, There are not many of my vinyl designs that I offer in both Easy weed and glitter. Glitter is far more difficult to deal with a weed the detailed smaller designs. But, if I was to I would charge a a little more as it's more expensive and takes longer to deal with.

Linda, How's that kitchen coming along? Is there much left to do? I hear you on the teens being grumpy when helping. Al I hear all day is "I KNOW MUM" "SIGH" Huuuuumppphhh" "REALLY" and my favorite "YOU ASK TOO MUCH"... Seriously want to harm her when she says that but instead, I return the comment when they ask for anything lol. Slowly but surly that comment is getting dropped lol
WinPc 2012
UsCutter
Julie

PostPosted by Dixie's Chick » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:48 am

Kitchen is coming along. It should be done next week. Cabinets are in but not here. I know the Schmuck is who we went though to get the cabinets want to come over/take pictures and come to the rescue. I'm not interested. he can leave them in the garage and go.

Julie, Glad you had a good time with your daughter. I picked a fight with my son last night at 10:30. I hit my breaking point. This morning he called me a bully..Really?

Anyway, tons to do. I have company coming starting Monday for the next 2 weeks...Wish me luck.
-Linda
Sparkle-Gear
Dixie's Chick

Return to (The Water Cooler) General Off-Topic Discussions