Weekly Chat, June 9, 2014

The water cooler is a great area to just have off-topic conversations and meet forum members.

Weekly Chat, June 9, 2014

PostPosted by Dixie's Chick » Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:36 am

Good morning and happy Monday!
Summer is here and I am loving the sunshine :-)

Not much going on, all is quiet on the home front. Any good plans for the week ladies and gent?
-Linda
Sparkle-Gear
Dixie's Chick

Re: Weekly Chat, June 9, 2014

PostPosted by Julie » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:31 am

Morning,

Less of the happy tho please lol

I just simply need more sleep. While hubby is home i could go to bed at 10 pm and fall straight asleep with no problems, go a bed at 10 while he is gone and i'm up and down like a yoyo doing things and bet you i still don't get to sleep till 2ish. Drives me crazy!! Up about 7.30 most days...

Tank has been picked up for school and I'm left with the foster puppy from hell!! lol. Actually he isn't to bad, just a bit of a chewer, which doesn't sit well with me, but we are working on it.

Working on a design for a local group of ladies that travel for some steppers group, they are being super demanding and it's starting to get on my t*ts now. Not sure if it is worth the hassle.... Sent them the last mock up yesterday, they can bloody take it of leave it. Group is mix male female but they want this and that, or no, we changed our minds. A and B want this and F and J want that.. Done.....

Right, got to put in place stricter procedures for checking invoices. twice last week i pressed the design on the wrong color/size tee and sent it out. I normally let the customer keep it and send out a new one, but cant keep doing that. Suggestions anyone?.

Starting to feel excited about seeing my family, already they have the plans on who is seeing me and when and I really do just love that. I'm very lucky and have a very loving family and ones that i can NOT wait to see.. Feeling soppy today lol

Right, Loving and leaving ya....

Feel free to show us what you have been up to ;)
Life is so sweet when you have the perfect weed!
WinPc 2012
UsCutter
Julie

PostPosted by Dixie's Chick » Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:52 pm

When do you leave Julie? should be nice to see everyone and nice that everyone wants to see you too.

No real trick here for double checking. More often than not it is a name on the back I forget (done it bout 4 times) rather than send the wrong item all together. I print a packing slip, shirt gets pulled with packing box etc go in a bid in the order it was received. then we double check the design against the packing slip and any special instructions. design gets made and then put in the bin and checked one more time before it all gets pressed. back in the bin and over to packing and shipping. we do all the packing at the same time. Hubby built a plug in for stamps.com. all we have to do is click on the ship button in their order, it brings up my choices for shipping and then drops the tracking number in the order, we can print right from there. I can't tell you how much time that saves.

I had a woman come by today looking for some golf prizes. I had way too much stuff made up from over the last 2 years. She bough 42 of the 50 pieces I had. WOOT! makes for a good sale day :-) now all i have to do is put my tag in them and they are good to go.

Hot and sticky, makes me want to nap :-)
-Linda
Sparkle-Gear
Dixie's Chick

PostPosted by Spirit Sparkle » Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:40 pm

WooHoo, Linda! That is the way to get rid of stuff! After reading that, I have an idea on how we can get rid of some samples :-). We made samples for a show when we first started a couple of years ago, the show was a bust and we were left with probably about 2 dozen shirts. I'm going to see if my sister got pictures and if we do, they are going to the different booster clubs with a letter of intro. They can raffle that shirt off or whatever but hopefully it will get my sister in the door (she doesn't think the school is having the daycare this summer for her to work). We have already taken the loss on the shirts, so it's not like we will be spending too much, maybe postage if we can't deliver to the local schools. All that from your post about golf prizes!! Thank you!

Julie, I hear you on mistakes! It sucks when my sister is making the set ups using the separate letters. She can't spell and if I don't read it before she presses...well, I almost died laughing when I saw the soccer one spelt scocer. Her comment was she didn't think it looked right, she wanted to add another 'o', this after I set the letters out in order. Our policy is someone has to look at if before she puts the tape down and if no one is there she will text me to make sure it's correct. We haven't had issues with picking the wrong shirt so far but I can see that happening down the road if we don't get better organized.

The yearbook was given to the 8th graders already and the rest of the school will get it tomorrow, so far everyone has loved it. The school is having changes and I think this might be the last one for us. There are changes (the Principal is retiring) and the VP of the middle school is stepping into the Principal role (I have misgivings). We get a little money but it doesn't pay for the supplies (tape, cutters and blades, paper, etc) we buy out of pocket. The yearbook is a moneymaker for the school and she talked to my sister about how many hours and stuff. If she wants to give it back to the teachers, good luck, they are overworked and that is how we ended up with it.

I checked out the Street Fair this weekend, they seemed to have more people hawking services or having commercial stuff then arts and crafts. I talked to a few of the vendors and they said it was slow and has been like that for the last few years. A couple of vendors figured it should get busy but I was there until 3:00 the first day and they were still slow. Kinda glad we didn't do it simply looking at the mix the Fair offered.
Maggie
Spirit Sparkle
Spirit Sparkle

PostPosted by Dixie's Chick » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:26 am

Good Morning, HUMP DAY!
Hi Maggie! Sorry about the yearbook, it can be hard to walk away from something you have been doing as a love and as a favor. It sounds like if you wanted the change, this would be a good time to walk away with new admins in the work. I personally think it would be best to tell them sooner rather than later.

Ebay, well, yeah, you can tell people all sales are final, but somehow they just don't believe you! on woman bought 2 of something and wanted to return the one that did not fit....OK!

We have our local town craft festival this weekend. I have thought long and hard about doing it. they want $500 for the table, which seems like a lot, all items have to go through a committee and be Jurried. then you have to have stuff to sell. It seems like a huge financial outpouring for as poor as people have said these events work out for them.

Anyway, if you have not made something for your dad, or husband for father's day. here is an idea. This is a free font called MARCELLE from Dafont. It comes in 2 parts with the alphabet and the swishes.

Off to the basement! Have a good one!
Attachments
dad (542x640).jpg
dad (542x640).jpg (102.19 KiB) Viewed 183 times
-Linda
Sparkle-Gear
Dixie's Chick

PostPosted by Julie » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:50 am

Morning

I leave on the 26th of this month and gone about 10 days, but I will do my best to still jump on here...

Sorry about the year book Maggie, I know you put a ton of effort into it...

Great design Linda, I remembered fathers day here but forgot it's also fathers day back home. I best get online and see what I can have delivered this weekend to my pops. I know there is a golf course he would like to go play on in Scotland, so maybe if I am quick I can book him a long weekend away with one of his golf buddies.

Linda, How many people are expected to walk through the craft show? $500.00 is rather high for just one day.

So i still have this foster dog, a little pain in the butt but only really because not getting attached is the hardest thing to do. I think he is a little stressed as well to be fair. Tank (my dog) has been to school twice this week and i decided not to send the foster dog (still healing from having the snip). Well, he has broken out in serious hives each time Tank has been gone and they have stayed for a day or so. Gave him meds for it but I just feel bad for him. A forever home can not get here soon enough.

Right, best crack on. Despite having orders sat here waiting I really feel like doing some housework.. SAID NO ONE EVER lmaooooooooooooo

Nope, got to do some. It's getting on my nerves.
WinPc 2012
UsCutter
Julie

PostPosted by Dixie's Chick » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:36 am

My boy is going to London on Monday, back on the 25th...Leaving for the beach on the 30th for a week over the 4th. Just realized hubby will have to deal with all the finish work in the kitchen. Counters have just been scheduled for the 7th! YIKES!

Julie, Fostering is a tough job. if you are in the market for a new pup, why are you not keeping this one? Just wondering.....

The craft show is 2 days, but I find it hard to make up that kind of money when there is no focus to the event. One thing if it's baseball, which I know you do, but another to guess what people "might" want" having been stuck with more than my fair share of finished products, I am not interested.

Just picked up 2 more fundraisers/teams. I have to get cracking on making a few adjustments to some current designs. Queen of re-purposing at your service.

back at it, i have a 4th of july design i bought from Matt WAY back. today I think I made it for the first time. :-)
-Linda
Sparkle-Gear
Dixie's Chick

PostPosted by Julie » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:39 pm

Linda,

We were looking for a pup when we thought we would be moving in a few months and thought we would have the room. But 2 weeks ago a few things changed that and we are now looking at moving summer of next year.

We just don;t have the space for him and Tank...
WinPc 2012
UsCutter
Julie

PostPosted by Dixie's Chick » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:02 am

Julie, sorry the building and the move have been put off a year. kind of a bummer. I hope your four legged house guest finds a forever home soon.

It's been a bit of a week. one woman on ebay put in a claim saying the item was not as described. not true and because we say clearly all sales final, no refunds or returns, she clearly thinks this rule does not apply to her. She MUST be special! just a PITA, another email form a woman who swears her XL is too small and she has never worn anything larger than a L in her whole life....and a C and D letter which frankly reads like the guy is making a living off of suing people.

SO! I am taking the day off! lunch with my friends then out with hubby tonight. Just finishing up some work this morning then I am going to forget I have a job for a few hours today.
-Linda
Sparkle-Gear
Dixie's Chick

PostPosted by AUvball21 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:24 pm

Hello all. I just purchased another set of letters. It seems the rhinestone shirts are really going over big. Can anyone tell me what they sell theirs for? For one color designs? Thank you.
AUvball21

PostPosted by Spirit Sparkle » Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:39 pm

Hi!

This is an answer that isn't an answer. It depends on the shirt and the design (helpful, huh) :-)

What I mean is how much was the shirt and how much were the rhinestones (number of stones x price per each stone), how much transfer tape did you use (price per sq in x number of inches) and how long did it take you to make it. Now you also have the indirect costs (or overhead) like the sticky flock letters, shipping, tax, printing, pens, paper, etc (anything you can use again but need to recover a little per sale to keep the business going). A rule of thumb is take your direct costs (shirt, stones, tape, labor) and multiple it by 2 or 3. I normally do three - one for my costs, one for taxes (they always want theirs), one for indirect or overhead (OH).

Now, Matt has a calculator for rhinestone that will do that. But it you have a $2.00 shirt, used 1,000 crystal rhinestones (a 100gr bag of stones are $39.95 or .00277 per stone) or $2.77, and you used 9.5" x 3" or .25 of tape (12" of 9.5" tape/.75). If it took you 15 minutes to make the shirt start to finish and you want to make $15 per hour that is .25 per minute x 15 or $3.75. So, $2.00 + $2.77 + .25 + 3.75 = $8.77. If I doubled it, I would probably round it up to $20.00. Or tripled it, round it down to $25.00.

First to realize is I didn't add in any of the shipping you paid to get your supplies (really important to remember - I tend to take the shipping cost and divide it into what I purchased so I make sure I get that $$ back) or anything you might have bought (business cards, paper, bags, heat press, software, etc). You want to make sure to get a little back in each sale or you will be losing money.

I hope that helped. If you know a little about excel you can put together a calculator to figure your costs. If not, Matt's is pretty good - its basic but it will get your started.
Maggie
Spirit Sparkle
Spirit Sparkle

PostPosted by Spirit Sparkle » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:44 pm

Linda, love the shirt! I really think the established year is a great idea. I used the Marcelle font for our business card, its a great font.

Yearbook is fun, my niece is going to be an 8th grader next year so that is a bummer if we don't put it together. But with this incoming principal, who knows. My sister will probably volunteer us for the memory book for the 8th grade. God love her! She loves to volunteer! That's how I get involved in all this.

I haven't tried Ebay, it makes me nervous because some of the stories (true or not) that I've heard like this. It is bad enough on your own website but now there is that huge place that people seem to know they can get what they want no matter the stated rules.

Once we finish the remodels (the last part will be new gates) then I want a dog. At last week's fair, they had senior golden retrievers and other dogs up for adoption. One that was SO cute! He looked like someone took his tail in an electrical socket, very sweet! They also had a black mouth cur mix (big dog, don't know the breed) in a too small kennel that they hadn't taken out and he looked miserable. I asked to see him (just to get him out of the kennel) and while he was out a family adopted him. Night and day his behavior once he was out.

Linda, I can't wait to be at the final stages or the remodel, I've waited so long! I still have to figure out the layout - I was gifted the cabinet doors, so I need to measure the doors and play puzzle.

I also need to clean house but I keep blaming it on all the remodeling stuff we have that I can't get it done...yeah that works :-)!
Maggie
Spirit Sparkle
Spirit Sparkle

Return to (The Water Cooler) General Off-Topic Discussions