Which Cutter to buy??

Post any questions here on Silhouette Cameo & SD Cutters.

Which Cutter to buy??

PostPosted by Init2blingit » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:36 pm

I'm sorry for the probably repeat question, but which cutter do I purchase?? Buying one before this weekend and I am torn between Cameo, GCC Expert 24, GCC Expert 24 LX, GCC Expert Pro 24. Can anyone enlighten me on the differences in these (besides price)??
Also, where the best deals are on any of these currently? Thank you in advance for any and all advice.
Init2blingit

Re: Which Cutter to buy??

PostPosted by Dixie's Chick » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:32 pm

Comparing apples to apples, some of your choice will depend on software.

The cameo is made by graphtech, it's a good little power house. It has some limitations you end to know before you buy. You are limited to 12 inches wide and the pinch rollers don't move. You must use a mat if you want to cut anything smaller than 12 inches. Your maximum length will be 24 inches. This also mean cutting a 3 color file (which studio can't do, you will need something free like Inkscape to break down files if you don't go with one of the other software programs that work with the cameo.

The cameo software can only import svg files, it saves all it's files as a .studio. Any of the . Studio files are not available for use in any other software. There are a few software programs that work with the cameo including winpc, Funtime, knk, corel with the silhouette plug in for cutting.

Any of the gcc cutters have movable pinchers, they will allow you to use different size materials including scraps just by moving the pinchers to fit the size. They do differ in price.

Keep in mind most vinyl comes 15 or 20 inches wide, a 24 inch cutter will accommodate it without cutting it down to size to fit.

Tracking matters, the better the quality cuter the better it will track, meaning keep your material lined up as it cuts.

The bigger cutter will open you up to more options.

I can't spend your money, but I would always opt for the best you can afford, leaving room for software. Even though your cutter is your work horse, you software is your money maker. Changing and customizing will only make things better for you. Making mock ups of designs to show customers is always helpful.

I hope my rambling helps. Ultimately you are choosing between a craft cutter and a good middle of the road big girl cutter.
-Linda
Sparkle-Gear
Dixie's Chick

PostPosted by Dixie's Chick » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:32 pm

Oops! I forgot to welcome you to the forum :-) Welcome!
-Linda
Sparkle-Gear
Dixie's Chick

PostPosted by Init2blingit » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:27 am

Thank you Linda. Love reading all your responses to everyone. I have learned a lot already.

Ok, so I would def rule out the Cameo at this point and I agree with going with a 24" cutter. So what is the difference between the Expert 24, Expert 24 LX and the Expert Pro 24?
Init2blingit

PostPosted by Dixie's Chick » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:06 am

If I00 % sure, but I think it will be speed and downforce/tracking, and motor. I do 't have any of these so a little google searching this is what I found.

It looks like the 24 and the xl have 250 grams of downforce, plenty to cut sticky flock and vinyl. Both have a stepper motor. The xl has a few more setting options. The pro has 400g of downforce with a servo motor. A little google search can tell you the difference in the motors and about downforce.
-Linda
Sparkle-Gear
Dixie's Chick

PostPosted by Init2blingit » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:19 pm

I was wondering if the LX is just the newer model of the Expert 24 or an upgraded model.
Init2blingit

PostPosted by Dixie's Chick » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:35 pm

I would call TRW and ask them.
-Linda
Sparkle-Gear
Dixie's Chick

PostPosted by Spirit Sparkle » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:36 am

I think the LX is an upgraded model. When I decided on getting the Expert 24, the difference everyone talked about was the Expert LX had an 'optical eye' and contour cut. It didn't seem that people were using that in some of the posts I read so I went with a base model. Other than what I think is mostly human error (although I do blame the machine), I'm happy with my little Bumble. :-)
Maggie
Spirit Sparkle
Spirit Sparkle

PostPosted by Init2blingit » Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:46 am

My GCC Expert is coming in today! I need to watch some set up instructions and try to get it ready to go. Does anyone have any tips to help me get going without any hiccups?
Init2blingit

PostPosted by littledeschutes » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:09 pm

littledeschutes

PostPosted by parker_65 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:45 am

Great recommendations!!
parker_65

Return to Silhouette Cameo & SD Cutter Questions