Hi all. I'm planning to start a business.

Here we will answer any questions you have about starting a rhinestone business and if it is right for you???

Hi all. I'm planning to start a business.

PostPosted by burghcreations » Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:42 pm

Hi all!
I've been thinking about starting a SMALL business for awhile now. I can't afford a lot of start-up costs but I found a vinyl cutter and heat press on craigslist. I didn't buy it yet as I'm still trying to determine how to go about all this.

Let's say I drop the cash and buy the two items. Then I need vinyl, stones, and shirts. Where do you buy really nice shirts? The only tee I own that is really comfy is made of a mix of cotton, lycra (or spandex?) and modol. Anyone find one like that?

Do I order a bunch of shirts in one size and just make samples and take orders?

How do I get involved in school sport venues and competitions where lots of teams are gathered at the same time?

Thanks!
burghcreations

Re: Hi all. I'm planning to start a business.

PostPosted by Dixie's Chick » Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:25 pm

Welcome to the forum.
Yes even with the cutter and heat press you have to buy supplies.
T shirts are available all over the place. Google wholesale t shirts. Some sites require a tax ID number or a resell number. Others don't. Some sites have minimums for free shipping others charge more for the shirts but no shipping extra charge.

Shirts are a total personal preference, I know some of the popular brands are next level, they have some mixed blend shirts, Bella, gildan to name a few. I bought Hanes from Walmart when I first started. I made and gave away a lot of stuff, still do actually.

How do you get involved with schools, find some moms that like your stuff, make it, give it away, or sell it for cost, wear your own stuff everywhere! All the time, have some cards and don't say no.
-Linda
Sparkle-Gear
Dixie's Chick

PostPosted by burghcreations » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:00 am

Thanks!
When you started out, did you only order shirts for examples, or did you just order a large batch of shirts in one color/style but in different sizes and then take orders for what you don't have?
burghcreations

PostPosted by Dixie's Chick » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:14 am

I ordered a bunch of stuff in my size so I could make for me, but not all companies have the same sizing. I can wear a l in lat, but some Bella I wear a 2xl, I also just bought pain shirts locally.

Walmart was easy, Hanse shirts are under $6 most of the time. Black is by far the most popular color, I split between crew and v neck on that. I stock a crew and a v neck, I will take special orders.

No need to place large orders until you get going. Find a t shirt you like and can work with, you want to wear that you can get easily, check out jiffy shirts, shirts are more expansive for wholesale, they have a good variety and shipping is $6 if your order is under $60
-Linda
Sparkle-Gear
Dixie's Chick

PostPosted by burghcreations » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:48 am

Thanks again.
I wanted to check out some wholesale prices and I needed a tax ID. Can you give me info on a tax ID? I will be the only person working (out of my empty nest bedroom). I am hoping to earn just enough this year to pay off the supplies I pick up and, hopefully, a little mad money.

If I don't sell much or anything at all, will this affect my joint-filed tax return with my husband? What if, for some reason, I have a hit and make more than I thought? Will it affect it then? How do I calculate this into my sell price?

Sorry for all these questions. I've never run a business!
burghcreations

PostPosted by Dixie's Chick » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:01 am

google your state for how to get a tax id or resller number.
I can't answer any tax questions for you, you have to ask your accountant including calculating your state sales tax
-Linda
Sparkle-Gear
Dixie's Chick

PostPosted by burghcreations » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:14 am

I was thinking about that as I was mowing grass and figured that would be my next step.

Thanks for all your help, sparkle gear! I appreciate it!
p.s. I googled your name/site. I love your site!
burghcreations

PostPosted by Dixie's Chick » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:17 am

you're more than welcome, Please call me Linda :-)
-Linda
Sparkle-Gear
Dixie's Chick

Is it possible to do this?

PostPosted by burghcreations » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:52 pm

Is it legal to do shirts as a hobby and just sell them for cost "and a little" for my time? I don't want to do anything tax illegal, but I don't think I can get into a small business at this time.
burghcreations

PostPosted by Spirit Sparkle » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:58 am

Hi!

I think you should check with your accountant again. It shouldn't be a big deal on a couple of shirts but if there is probably a limit that is lower than you think. Also, if your area is anything like Los Angeles, if they realize you have been selling things, they'll want their portion of it too!
Maggie
Spirit Sparkle
Spirit Sparkle

Return to TRW Business Starter Kit Questions?