Breaking down large files in Inkscape

Post any questions here on Silhouette Cameo & SD Cutters.

Breaking down large files in Inkscape

PostPosted by firerose617 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:17 pm

Okay - I'm going to give this tutorial of breaking down the large files in Inkscape a go for those using the Cameo. Inkscape is free, as opposed to Corel or Adobe Illustrator, but it isn't as quick at completing commands, so you will have to have some patience. Also, I would suggest trying a smaller file first to get the hang of it....

PART ONE:

I am using one of Matt's alphabets for this tutorial....

File, open, file type, all vectors, select the SVG file from your computer. You should see an image of the file in the corner - click open.

The file should appear in Inkscape. If the program minimizes, click on maximize to get it back to full page.
You should see your file with the black circles and yellow background.

Click anywhere on the design and you will get a broken line box with arrows around the whole design.

RIght click anywhere on the image and click ungroup. It might take a couple of tries to get it. BE PATIENT! When it is ungrouped, you will see that the broken line box around the whole design is gone and replaced with broken line boxes around the individual letter and circles.

Click anywhere and all the lines will disappear. Click the Select and Transform arrow (top icon on left sidebar), click the yellow background behind one of the letters. You should get a dashed line outline around the box for that letter along with a bunch of arrows. Then, while the dashed line is still around the letter box, draw another box around that box still using the select arrow. Make sure you get the new box COMPLETELY around the dashed line box...but not so far as to get some of the circles from the next letter. You can start drawing your box out a little ways from the letter box, it will take a few times to the hang of this. BE PATIENT!! When you have the dashed box around the letter and boxes around the circles of the letter you are working on (i.e. the letter A...there is a box around the A and boxes around all the circles that make the A).

Go to object>group and then try moving your completed "A" to a different spot on the page. If you did it correctly, the background and circles that make up the "A" should all move together - WITHOUT any parts from other letters. If not, try again...

CONT...
firerose617

Re: Breaking down large files in Inkscape

PostPosted by debrapayne » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:19 pm

Thanks a bunch!!!! firerose
Debra Payne
Designs by Deb
debrapayne

PostPosted by firerose617 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:56 pm

PART TWO:

If you make a mistake, just click Edit>Undo.

Once you get the hang of it, you can group larger sections together...i.e. A-K. In my file, the A-K are all on one line. Just draw a box around the yellow background from the top left corner of the A to the bottom left corner of the K. If you do it correctly, you will see all the dashed lines around the individual letters as well as the boxes around the circles for each letter. There will also be arrows in the corners/sides of the large box. Click, object>group. Then that section is grouped together. You should be able to move it all at once, anywhere on the page.

DOUBLE CHECK THE SIZE OF THE FILE YOU ARE GROUPING TOGETHER TO MAKE SURE IT FITS YOUR CUTTER. In the top section of Inkscape, you will see some measurements. To the right of the lock, there is a dropdown to choose your unit of measurement....I think px is the default....I change mine to in.
Then, when you group areas together, you can make sure they aren't too big to fit the cutter. If they are, group together a smaller section. When I was using the Cameo, I didn't have anything larger than 11" wide or tall, just to be on the safe side.

As far as I can tell, Inkscape doesn't allow for you to save only selected parts, so you will have to copy/paste each section you want grouped together.

Once I have A-K all grouped together, I click edit>copy, then File>new>default....paste and then Save as i.e. TRW 131 A-K. Do this with each section. NEVER save over your original file. In fact, I would save a copy of the original before I started working on it, just in case you make a mistake.

Whew....that's it :D It may sound confusing at first, but after you have played with it a little, you WILL get the hang of it and believe me, it's MUCH easier working with the smaller files in Cameo/Sil. Studio Designer Edition software.

Once you have all of this done, go to your Cameo software, click open, open the svg file and you're ready to go!

EDIT: After you open the file in Sil. Studio Designer DO NOT trace the design....it is already a vector file.
Also, remember to create your cut lines. Click edit>select all....click the scissors icon, the design will "fade out" then click "cut" you will see red lines around the box (weed box) and circles. Close the cut style window. The red lines will disappear, but they are still there. You are now ready to cut!!! :D
firerose617

PostPosted by firerose617 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:16 pm

debrapayne wrote:Thanks a bunch!!!! firerose

Hopefully it helps some people and makes sense :D
firerose617

PostPosted by Dixie's Chick » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:27 pm

^LIKE thanks, as always Firerose
-Linda
Sparkle-Gear
Dixie's Chick

PostPosted by EliteDesign31 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:35 pm

This is great!
EliteDesign31

PostPosted by firerose617 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:20 pm

You're welcome - hopefully I got it right and covered the basics....if it helps anyone, then I'll be happy.

I don't normally use Inkscape as I have Adobe Illustrator, but I know from experience the frustration of working with the Cameo software and large files.

Kim (firerose)
firerose617

PostPosted by debrapayne » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:50 pm

And we greatly appreciate your experience and knowledge. Most of us are lost when it comes to the Cameo and Silhouette.
Debra Payne
Designs by Deb
debrapayne

PostPosted by headwyatt » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:13 am

Can you do mock ups in Inkscape?
headwyatt

PostPosted by debrapayne » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:25 pm

I think you can. You won't get the stone look to the stones, just circles. I haven't used Inkscape for years and know it has changed a lot though.
Debra Payne
Designs by Deb
debrapayne

PostPosted by firerose617 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:39 pm

Yes, you can - it will take some some work, patience and practice, but it can be done. Debra is right - you can't get the stone look - as far as I know. You can save the finished image as a PDF
firerose617

PostPosted by headwyatt » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:52 pm

What do you use Firerose since I know you are a silhouette user...
headwyatt

PostPosted by firerose617 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:18 pm

i upgraded from the cameo to a gcc expert 24 about 6 weeks ago....but i try to help with the sil when i can. i have always used adobe illustrator for my graphics program...but its expensive - so i decided to figure out the basics in inkscape for breaking down the large files for the sil
firerose617

PostPosted by mvargas52 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:00 pm

will inkscape work with the silhouette SD?....
mvargas52

PostPosted by Dixie's Chick » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:21 pm

Inkscape is a separate program you use to break up the files the open the prices in silhouette de for cutting.
-Linda
Sparkle-Gear
Dixie's Chick

PostPosted by mvargas52 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:14 am

hello,

my issue is ive noticed that if i break up a file in inkscape and then transfer to silhouette its a little larger and doesnt fit in my cut page. I dont know why? I really like using inkscape its much easier to break up the files.
mvargas52

PostPosted by firerose617 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:27 am

Are you sure you are breaking it down into files SMALLER than your mat? Even thou the silhouette mat is 12x12, the actual usable space isn't quite that big. When I was using the Cameo, the largest I made a file was about 11x11
firerose617

PostPosted by mvargas52 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:42 am

well, for example i downloaded the basketball to use the initials on the side of the ball, i transfer them separetly and they are bigger than my usuable space by like two inches all around..so i go to TRW and look at the design and its like 6in all around so im not sure why they transfer so much bigger in size.
mvargas52

PostPosted by firerose617 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:16 pm

What do you have your mat setting at in Silhouette? Are you opening the file in Sil or importing into your library and then trying to open them?
firerose617

PostPosted by mvargas52 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:49 pm

where would i go to see the mat setting? :(....i select them from my library to open up in Sil.
mvargas52

PostPosted by firerose617 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:58 pm

Click on the 4th icon to the left on the top right of the window - it kind of looks like a tv. You might have to double click it - you want it to say "use printer settings" at the top under PAGE. Check to see what it highlighted at the top - the cutting mat setting is at the bottom.

You shouldn't put the designs in the library....it sometimes messes them up. After you breakdown the files in Inkscape, save them as an SVG in a separate folder on your computer (I did mine on my desktop) and then do file, open, find the folder you have the design in, click file type SVG and open.
firerose617

PostPosted by mvargas52 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:33 pm

wow...ok i will have to check on that when i get home....and definately start saving them elsewhere...thanks, i will let you know how it turns out..
mvargas52

PostPosted by mvargas52 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:20 pm

well....either that tv looking icon is not on my software or im totally missing it. the fourth icon on the screen on the left is of an SD card. I have the SD silhouette i dont know if that matters.
mvargas52

PostPosted by firerose617 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:54 pm

r u using the silhouette studio designer edition software? i had the cameo...maybe the sd is different
firerose617

PostPosted by mvargas52 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:31 pm

Yes I have the designer edition...n I opened the file the way u suggested n it fits ny usable space...so maybe that's solves my issue..lol thanks
mvargas52

Next

Return to Silhouette Cameo & SD Cutter Questions