Breaking down large files in Inkscape

Post any questions here on Silhouette Cameo & SD Cutters.

Re: Breaking down large files in Inkscape

PostPosted by luckygal » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:24 pm

I am not really sure about the lines. My program is up to date and I can visually see the lines turn from a sort of faint red line to more of a bold red line when I go into my cut style window and select cut. Now if your machine is going through the process like it is cutting the circles, then that probably means your cut lines are there and turned on. Can you put in a piece of card stock into the cutter and try to cut that with one of the files. Use the appropriate settings for the card stock of course! It would be easier to see the machine functioning with a piece of cardstock than with the sticky flock. See of the machine is actually attempting to cut the card stock. If it is not cutting what you see on the screen, then I would go back to making sure you cut lines are on. If it is cutting the design, then you may just need to attempt to adjust the blade when cutting sticky flock. I use the settings firerose mentioned above, but you may have to tweak your settings based on your particular machine. Let me know the results if you cut some cardstock and then we can try to troubleshoot from there.
luckygal

PostPosted by gabbyo » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:19 am

Thanks! I'll try this out this evening after work.
Life is easy, people make it hard.
gabbyo

PostPosted by gabbyo » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:18 am

OK. I used the regular template material (not sticky flock) & it worked. FYI: I tried the same design on the sticky block FIRST & it did NOT cut. Switched material & it cut fine.

Problem is the design I'm actually wanting to cut is a 3 color font & it is NOT cutting on the sticky flock. Now that I know I'm doing all the steps correctly, I'm not sure where to go from here.
gabbyo

PostPosted by luckygal » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:30 pm

If the design cut on regular material then I would think that all you have to do is find the setting that work for the sticky flock on your machine. Like I mentioned before, the settings firerose mentioned are the settings I use, but you may have to adjust depending on your machine. I know you have probably checked, but did you actually try to weed the sticky flock after cutting, or just visually look at the top for cuts? I only ask because when I first cut my sticky flock, I could not see any cuts on the top of the sticky flock. All the cuts just blended into the knap of the material. I almost didn't attempt to weed it because I thought it didn't cut at all. However, when I went to weed it, sure enough the cuts were actually there.
luckygal

PostPosted by gabbyo » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:35 pm

OMG!!! Ok, so my excuse is that I'm a newbie. I could see the circles on the back of the sticky flock, but not on the top (pink side). Is that what you all mean by "weeding"?!?! If so, I'll be sure to kick myself in the a$$ later. LOL
gabbyo

PostPosted by firerose617 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:20 pm

Lol....Luckygal is right....it is almost impossible to see the cuts from the top side of the sticky flock....try to weed it:)

Weeding - separate the top layer of sticky flock from the white bottom layer - start in one corner. Most of the dots should stay on the white layer - if some stay attached to the top layer, lay the sticky flock on a desk or table, etc and
then pull it off the table....most of the remaining dots should stay on the table. Any remaining can be punched out.
firerose617

PostPosted by gabbyo » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:32 pm

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU. It sounds like this is the issue (or non issue), & I hope to go home & start using my new template.
gabbyo

PostPosted by luckygal » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:51 pm

I am so glad we figured out the issue. No need to kick your self in the a$$....I couldn't tell my sticky flock had cut the first time either!
luckygal

PostPosted by heather » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:10 pm

Thank you so much for posting the instructions FireRose! I was so nervous about being to cut stickyflock with my silhouette, but with your instructions it was a breeze! I ordered more supplies and my heat press! Super excited and can't wait to get my heat press on Wednesday :)

Thank you ! Thank you!
heather

PostPosted by heather » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:04 pm

My heat press came in today! I can't wait to play after my kiddos go to bed.
heather

PostPosted by firerose617 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:42 pm

You're welcome - glad I could be of help:)

Have fun with your new "toys" :)
firerose617

PostPosted by mrsmo5 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:58 pm

Hi....I bought the alphabet 3 inch and followed the directions at the top of the page to break apart in inkscape. However when I bring it into cameo de, the letter are 4.21 inches....can I readjust or did I do something wrong?
Thanks....
slowly going crazy....
Mo
mrsmo5

PostPosted by firerose617 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:00 am

The first thing I would check is to make sure, after you have broken down the file into smaller pieces, that it is the correct size when you save the files.....i.e. if it's supposed to be a 3" letter - that it is still a 3" letter in Inkscape before saving. After you save it, I would open it in DE and see if it opens the same size as what you saved it as.....if not, then I would try opening that saved file in Inkscape again and see if it opens correctly in Inkscape. That way you will know if the problem is in DE or the file itself.

If the size of the letter is supposed to be 3" - the circles that form the letter will be 3", but there is also the weed box that increases the overall size of the design. Are you maybe seeing the total OVERALL (circles and weed box) size?

mrsmo5 wrote:Hi....I bought the alphabet 3 inch and followed the directions at the top of the page to break apart in inkscape. However when I bring it into cameo de, the letter are 4.21 inches....can I readjust or did I do something wrong?
Thanks....
slowly going crazy....
Mo
firerose617

PostPosted by mrsmo5 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:27 pm

Thanks so much, off to try that now!
mrsmo5

PostPosted by 1HOTTIEMOMMY » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:48 pm

When breaking down the files, they just need to be able to fit on the page rite? And this may be a silly question, but once the file is downloaded, do I need to keep the yellow background? The yellow is much bigger than the design itself....does it serve a purpose? And if so, does the yellow have to fit on the page as well? Struggling with a design today :roll: Thanks in advance!
1HOTTIEMOMMY

PostPosted by Dixie's Chick » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:01 pm

It does need to fit on the page. If its not on the page then it won't cut.

You need to keep the boxes, they are there to help line up the layers of the design. If you have not checked out the FAQ videos on the TRW home page or watched the you tube videos on how to layer sticky flock, you should grab a drink and a snack, sit back and watch. There is a ton of helpful information in both places, well worth the time investment.
-Linda
Sparkle-Gear
Dixie's Chick

PostPosted by 1HOTTIEMOMMY » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:05 am

Thanks Linda! This forum is SOOO helpful!!
1HOTTIEMOMMY

PostPosted by BodyArtFusion » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:06 pm

Hello, not sure what i'm doing wrong, but my select and transform arrow is white with a little hand, so when i try to draw a line around the ungroupped stuff, the hand "grabs" the yellow box and moves it, instead of drawing a line around the section I want to break out. Any help is appreciated!!
BodyArtFusion

PostPosted by Spirit Sparkle » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:40 pm

Hi!
I'm not an expert but let me try to help, I'm sure someone with more expertise will answer but, hopefully, this will help in the meantime.

The white arrow and hand is the select tool, the yellow box is the weeding box. To ungroup you can either click on the yellow box and choose ungroup or start anywhere outside the area and drag your cursor to include everything and choose ungroup. If the ungroup doesn't work then try break apart (its under path). Sometimes you need to ungroup or break apart a couple of times depending on it was grouped in sections.

Remember the yellow boxes are the weeding boxes and help with aligning the pattern parts. I hope this helps! Let me know if I can help anymore.
Maggie
Spirit Sparkle
Spirit Sparkle

PostPosted by donnaredd » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:46 am

Having a similar problem with sizing issues in Inkscape. Opened the 3 color eagle design from TRW in Inkscape and broke apart the color templates into 3 pages since I can only cut 9" on the Silhouette. Knew the size of the design was good to fit on my SF according to Matt's size indicated on file purchased. Saved as SVG after breaking apart - did not do any resizing just saved. Opened file in Sil DE, loaded SF and set to cut. File was too large and did not cut correctly ruining the SF.

I went back and looked at my SVG file and somehow it had grown to 9.44 from the original 7.1. I have no clue how this happened but explains why others haven't worked out right in the past. Never thought to check since all I do in Inkscape is break apart. I tried same design in Sil DE and luckily it cooperated - to cut the correct size and holes. I cut over the one that was too large not to ruin more SF and can see the huge difference.

Can anyone tell me how I'm changing sizes and more importantly how to prevent it?

Finally found a way to cut downloads want to fix this immediately.

Thanks.

Donna Redd
donnaredd

PostPosted by shell467 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:13 am

Does anyone use Mac with silhouette? I am having the same issues about sizing. It is the correct size in inkscape, but in SDE, it is much bigger. I have tried a variety of techniques, followed Matt's video to the T, and still no luck. so frustrating!!!!
shell467

Previous

Return to Silhouette Cameo & SD Cutter Questions