Breaking down large files in Inkscape

Post any questions here on Silhouette Cameo & SD Cutters.

Re: Breaking down large files in Inkscape

PostPosted by firerose617 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:19 pm

that's great! the page icon in my designer edition is in the upper right hand corner....fourth in to the left
firerose617

PostPosted by bluiis65 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:25 pm

OMG Thank you so very much!!!! I was finally able to break down a file I had for over 2mths!!!!!!!!!!
bluiis65

PostPosted by bluiis65 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:28 pm

How do you reset the actual file size???? It made mine HUGE.....I can go to the website & see what the alpha's height it but not sure about the width...HELP!!!!
bluiis65

PostPosted by firerose617 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:42 pm

make sure u are opening the svg file i silhouette....not importing or using the library
firerose617

PostPosted by bluiis65 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:49 pm

ohhhh
bluiis65

PostPosted by bluiis65 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:50 pm

not sure how to do that! UGH!!!!!
bluiis65

PostPosted by luckygal » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:45 am

Here are some things I have figured out that may help you....First off, when I am using Inkscape to break apart my files, I found that I am unable to follow the instructions listed here...it just does not work for me. If I followed the instructions and grouped the parts of the file I wanted then copy and pasted into a new window in Inkscape, my files would not work properly when opened in SSDE. My files would import large and I was unable to turn on the interior cut lines (circles). As far as your files importing large, all you have to do is size the image to 80% in SSDE to get it back to the correct size. So when in SSDE go to the Scale window and type in 80% instead of the listed 100%. The explanation for this size difference is longer than I want to put here, but that 20% difference should be about standard and get your file to the correct size.

Another thing you could try is the method I have to use for breaking apart my files. Follow the instructions for opening, unngrouping, and grouping your file in Inkscape. Instead of copying and pasting the parts into separate windows, just select all the parts you do not want and right click>cut those sections out. Now go to Save AS and save the file under your desired new name. Once you save, either select the undo button or paste your items back onto the screen. Repeat this process until all parts have been saved into new files. When I do this, I no longer have problems when opening the files in SSDE. They open at the correct size and I don't have issues with cut lines. For this, I do not have an explanation, but it is worth a shot so you don't have to worry about sizing once you open the file in SSDE.

Sorry this was so lengthy. I hope it was clear enough to understand!
luckygal

PostPosted by bluiis65 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:38 pm

Thank you lucky gal I will try!
bluiis65

PostPosted by bluiis65 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:40 pm

One thing I know is when I tried to open the font file in my SSDE it freezes...and I have to shut it down completely so it normally does not give me the option of trying to resize...I will try in the morning when I am rested to see if that possibly works. I appreciate the help just the same!
bluiis65

PostPosted by firerose617 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:24 am

luckygal - good information, I thought I mentioned that in my directions, but perhaps I forgot. When using the SSDE, the largest I ever made a single file was 11" x 11". Sometimes that will mean I might only get a few letters of a font in one file....it's time consuming, but the best option for those without Corel Draw or Adobe Illustrator.

bluiis65 - Don't try to open the original TRW font file in SSDE - it's just to large for the software to handle it...the software will crash. You will need to follow the directions for breaking down the file into smaller files that SSDE can process. That might mean you only get 2 letters in one file, but that is the only way to do it. As luckygal mentioned, make sure you save each part separately and don't overwrite your original TRW file. When you are done breaking down the whole font file - you need to open them one at a time in SSDE, cut that file, close the file and go on to the next file.
firerose617

PostPosted by luckygal » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:05 am

Firerose is correct. SSDE cannot handle the larger size files, so you will need to break the file up in Inkscape so that you are only opening portions of the original file in SSDE. This will prevent your freezing problems. The default size in Inkscape is pixels (px), but there is a drop down box in the task bar to change the measurements to inches. Use this to determine how big to break up your files. So for an Alphabet file I would group some letters together making sure my overall width and height do not exceed the the 12x12 size of my cutting mat. For alphabet files (depending on overall size of the letters) I usually group the smaller letters to make say an 8x8 grouped box to be able to open in SSDE without freezing problems. For the larger alphabets and numbers I will group less letters together.

As an example, I purchased the Ultimate sports pack, which contains 2 alphabets, words, numbers, and images. It totally froze my SSDE when I tried to open it. I broke that file up into seven smaller files to open in SSDE. Once you get the hang of it, it does not take very long and you only have to do it once if you save the broken up files. It does take a little more work than people with more sophisticated rhinestone programs and cutters, but it is absolutely doable if we just do a little more preparation prior to cutting.
luckygal

PostPosted by purpleroses72 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:27 am

I was also having trouble with resizing in Studio DE. I tried both ways. The first (resize to 80%) and that worked. I also did the second...opening in Inkscape, deleting all unwanted parts, save as "something else" then "open" not import in Studio DE. The resize to 80% worked, but I just feel like I'm losing something by doing that. I also did the second one and that worked once and then still opened too big on another file. There has got to be a better way!

Any more tips?
purpleroses72

PostPosted by firerose617 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:59 pm

Is your file the correct size when you open it in Inskscape? If so, it should open the correct size in DE. In DE are the size measurements off from what it "should" be? Is your mat set to the right size for the file?
firerose617

PostPosted by purpleroses72 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:43 pm

Yes, the file is the correct size in Inkscape, but when I open it in DE, it is bigger. I have to resize to 80% in DE to get it back to what it was in inkscape. I can change the mat size in DE, but that doesn't affect the open SVG file picture, it just changes what is behind it. For instance, I was using the letters "YLHS" from the TRW 3" college block font and it was 11.012" wide in inkscape which would be perfect for 12" sticky flock on the 12" Cameo mat. When I opened the same SVG file in DE, the letter group was then 13.xx" wide (sorry, can't remember exact decimal!) which no longer would fit on my 12" wide sticky flock. Very strange. So I went back into the original file as luckygal said above, deleted all the unwanted letters, resaved the file as a different name so as to not overwrite my original file, then opened that in DE and it was 11.012" wide. What a pain as I would need to do this for each part of the file I want to cut. But then I tried opening a different original file "Mustang" curved words, and when I opened the original file in DE, it was about 2" larger than it was in Inkscape. Grrrr.

I've upgraded to the latest version of DE, but admittedly I am new to the program and don't know whether it is the program or me. I'm using a Win7 computer and it has plenty of processing power, etc. But any SVG file I open SHOULD be the same size. Why on earth would it change sizes from program to program?

Thanks for any insight or help.
purpleroses72

PostPosted by firerose617 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:23 am

This is so strange...I used to have that happen when I tried out Make The Cut software, so I quit using it. When I was still using my Cameo, I would break down my files in Adobe Illustrator and then open them in DE - I never had the problem with the size again.

Try opening a smaller TRW original file (maybe under 8" or so)that you don't have to breakdown in Inkscape, write down the dimensions - save as a new name and then open in DE and see if it stays the same. Let's see if those will open correctly so we know if it's the DE software or something happening while breaking them down in Inkscape.
firerose617

PostPosted by gabbyo » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:51 am

OK...I followed steps from firerose & luckygal. Everything finally worked out for me UNTIL it came time to cut the template. Again, I'm new to the Cameo & its software so this is my 1st project so bare with me. Any ideas of what I'm doing wrong? The machine "appeared" to be doing its thang but once it was complete & I unloaded my sticky flock, there were no holes. Nothing cut!!! Please help, I don't want to get discouraged.
Life is easy, people make it hard.
gabbyo

PostPosted by firerose617 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:09 pm

did you remember to apply the cut lines?
firerose617

PostPosted by gabbyo » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:59 pm

The last step before sending to machine was click on the scissors icon, click cut, saw red lines, & then closed the cut style window. Am I missing a step or more?
gabbyo

PostPosted by firerose617 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:26 am

No, that is correct....are you sure the blade is out far enough and seated correctly in the holder?
firerose617

PostPosted by gabbyo » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:12 pm

I double checked. What should I have the blade set on for the sticky flock?
gabbyo

PostPosted by firerose617 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:14 pm

I think I had my blade depth at 6, thickness 33, speed 10. I also used a mat. Double check to make sure the design you are trying to cut isn't too big for the machine or the mat settings you have set. If using a mat, make sure you have the sticky flock positioned on the mat the same as you have it shown on the computer.

'm sure I posted somewhere in one of the threads. I sold my Cameo a few months ago when I upgraded to the GCC Expert 24 - I still have the software, but not the machine.
firerose617

PostPosted by gabbyo » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:39 pm

I did all of the above. I'll keep trying. Thanks.
gabbyo

PostPosted by luckygal » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:43 pm

When you are checking your cut lines, are the lines a faint red in the cut style window or a bold red? Also check your blade to make sure there is nothing stuck in the housing and interfering with the blade. I have to clean my blade out a lot when cutting sticky flock.
luckygal

PostPosted by gabbyo » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:35 pm

It's a faint red...never turns bold red.
gabbyo

PostPosted by firerose617 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:27 pm

When I was using my Cameo - it never turn bold red - just red. But, I haven't upgraded my software since I got my GCC in Sept., maybe that is something in a new version?
firerose617

PreviousNext

Return to Silhouette Cameo & SD Cutter Questions