Need help with pricing!

Here we will answer any questions you have about starting a rhinestone business and if it is right for you???

Need help with pricing!

PostPosted by blingdujour » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:57 pm

How do you figure pricing when a customer is providing the garment? Materials + time/labor I'd imagine. We have a customer who says her bling person charges $1.55/letter and can we match? I am hesitant b/c I don't think it is enough, but want the business. Any ideas are appreciated!
blingdujour

Re: Need help with pricing!

PostPosted by dmgisulw » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:06 pm

It's hard for me to say yes to matching someone elses pricing. Your situation is not the other decorators and vice-versa. Unless you see a sample how do you know you are even comparing apples to apples. At the least I would expect to see a garment decorated they are talking about.

I price based on the stone count and hot fix tape used and my labor. In fact I use the excel program that Matt offers on his site to price jobs. It will calculate the cost of stones used and the hot fix tape. I would as well figure your time involved doing the job and how many garments you are applying stones to.

I hope this helps some.
Dawn
Uptown Logo Wear
dmgisulw

PostPosted by redheadedmonkeys » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:26 pm

$1.55 per letter depends on the font, how many she is ordering, and are they crystal or colored stones. 5 shirts that say BOB in pink stones 3 row arial font, piss off. 500 shirts that say BOB'S BURGERAMA in mini arial crystal stones. Yeah baby!!
Liz Woodrow
Redheaded Monkeys
http://www.redheadedmonkeys.etsy.com
redheadedmonkeys

PostPosted by debrapayne » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:08 pm

Everybody is completely right. It will all depend on what you are doing and how many. Matt's Calculator is great and only about $20. It gives me a starting point and then I can adjust my time and labor if I want (which I never do) to cut down on the price but I will not lower my prices because they can get them elsewhere cheaper! If it comes down to it, most people don't know the difference between rhinestones and rhinestuds so they won't even see the difference until they hold them side by side. LOL
Debra Payne
Designs by Deb
debrapayne

PostPosted by blingdujour » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:20 pm

thank you all for your input! i think we need to break down and buy the $20 pricing calculator. that will help. we are brand new and wanting to get business, but don't want to end up shooting ourselves in the foot with not charging appropriately.
blingdujour

PostPosted by atatum » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:54 pm

Since we're talking about pricing -- can anyone tell me what they charge per number for the TRW 65 Monster numbers (7" - one color, no outline) on the back of the shirts? I'm getting ready to add these as options, but not sure what to charge. I'll check Matt's calculator as far as my cost, but am curious what anyone else charges for them.

Thanks!
Andrea.
atatum

PostPosted by Dixie's Chick » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:08 am

Andrea, I can't find a stone count, and the more stones you buy, the better the priceing. So assuming 50 cents for a gross for crystal stones you can do some math and figure you your cost for the stones, then your cost for the shirt. I usually start with 3 to 4 x that number for a base price.
-Linda
Sparkle-Gear
Dixie's Chick

PostPosted by debrapayne » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:58 am

Andrea, I normally charge $5 for the 6" numbers so I would probably go up at least a $1
Debra Payne
Designs by Deb
debrapayne

PostPosted by Julie » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:29 pm

Tough one??? Maybe!!

All depends on the letters I guess. And while you do want the customers, if this early in the game they are asking to to price match I would be hesitant to go forward with it. I try and steer clear of those customers, on the basis of I can't afford shares in Advil lol.

That pricing calculator will be your best friend ;)
Life is so sweet when you have the perfect weed!
WinPc 2012
UsCutter
Julie

PostPosted by Dixie's Chick » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:39 pm

I am going to agree, let this one go, they are bargin shopping and you don't want to be walmart in this deal. Take your time, hone your skills, the customers will respect the quality.
-Linda
Sparkle-Gear
Dixie's Chick

PostPosted by redheadedmonkeys » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:58 pm

I'm facing one of the toughies right now. A woman from a school is interested in doing shirts. She wants an idea on pricing. No idea how many shirts, could be 20, could be 200. No idea what kind of design. 4 color 8x8 logo or 10 word crystal name, but she wants an idea on the price. Yeah. Let me just pull that out of my arse.
Liz Woodrow
Redheaded Monkeys
http://www.redheadedmonkeys.etsy.com
redheadedmonkeys

PostPosted by luvthatbling » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:08 pm

I had a customer approach me once and asked me to match a price for a design. I thought about saying no at first but then decided to do it with one condition. I told her I would match the price but she had to purchase a minimum of 20 designs for that price. She went for it and now she is a very good customer of mine. I took the situation and made it work for both of us. She got her price and I got to show her my work and with setting a minimum quantity I was able to make money on the order.
Lori
luvthatbling

PostPosted by Dixie's Chick » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:47 am

Luv, that's a good way to negotiate and good thinking on your feet.
-Linda
Sparkle-Gear
Dixie's Chick

PostPosted by Gris822 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:38 pm

I need help determining what to charge? I have a a customer who has asked me to do "FAITH" on her shirt but then just told me she has the tanks. How do I determine a cost or what to charge?
Gris822

PostPosted by debrapayne » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:49 pm

Well the design cost should be the same on either shirt, right? So figure the cost of the design and pressing minus the shirts you priced her and there you go. Matt's calculator is a great way to determine what you have in a design and what you are making per hour.
Debra Payne
Designs by Deb
debrapayne

PostPosted by atatum » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:54 pm

I've done that for customers before and I charge a per letter price (depends on which letters you're using) and then a $5 per item fee to bling something they didn't purchase from me. I have found that some people are picky about their shirts and do like to get their own. I also do not take responsibility if the item is damaged by the heat press, etc.

Hope that helps!
Andrea
atatum

PostPosted by Bling-N-Tees » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:54 pm

Whenever possible... I try NOT to take customer supplied garments. First... It will be cheaper if I order it for them. The mentality being that we profit on the shirts... which we do... But why would you want to go to the local mall or department store or even whatever-mart and buy your own shirts and pay more then what I would charge you?

Then they think because they provide the shirts... decorating them should be less costly... which its not. Regardless I will make the same profit if I print the customer's supplied stuff or I supply the garments. So why do prefer to not print an customer supplied stock?

Customers like to go to flea markets and buy "seconds" to save 20 cent per shirt. Out of 50 shirts maybe 75% is good so when it comes down to it... its more work for my guys to weed through their junk and then we have to debate with them why there are holes or pull marks or mis-sewn seams.

Like Andrea... We have signs posted and our order forms and invoices state we are not liable for customer supplied goods. But when something goes wrong... will they simply say... Oh ok. I understand its not your responsibility? Probably not... and the 1 or 2 times we did have an issue with a customer supplied garment... they tried to claim we caused the damage etc.

For me its not worth the headache.

Time and effort in our business is money. Its not worth arguing. You just lose money and loose the customer. So if you control all aspects of the production... there is less chance of error or mistakes. But if they must have their own garment for allergies or whatever reason... If its less then 6 items... I ask for 50% more. If they want 1 or 2 they have to double it... so in other words.. They want 2 shirts they have to supply me with 4 in case something goes wrong we have a back up. On larger orders we get the industry standard 2-3% And now we refuse all garments that are irregular or seconds.

IMPORTANT... in accepting a customers garments... make sure you can do the job and the garments can take the heat from your press prior to accepting the job. There are nylon, polyester and other materials that can not be heated up to 300 degrees let alone the 325 - 350 that most of us use. So that will burn, melt or damage their goods. So know your materials and if it will be damaged by the heat.

One of my guys learned this the hard way... trying to make a heat press vinyl on a non-woven grocery bag. It melted!!! LOL
Bling-N-Tees

PostPosted by jwak » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:03 am

Very informative Tim!
jwak

PostPosted by Jazzi Tude » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:41 pm

Thank you very informative! But I do have a question, btw I am a newbie. Hello everyone....My question has to do with fabrics. I know that cotton is the best fabric to use in a heat press but what other combos of fabric can be used. ex: 95% cotton 5% spandex....

Jazzi 8-)
Jazzletude Bling Boutique
"Where BLING comes true..."
Jazzi Tude

PostPosted by Dixie's Chick » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:53 pm

you really can use anything you like. Nylon will melt at higher temps so be careful and stones won't stick t nylon, but there are vinyls made for nylon. Straps on bags and linings in bags can have a nylon content. If you aren't careful you can melt the straps or the lining.
I do poly all the time with no problem. It does get how so it take a little time to cool.
-Linda
Sparkle-Gear
Dixie's Chick

PostPosted by Jazzi Tude » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:19 pm

Thank you....Ms. Linda
Jazzi Tude

Return to TRW Business Starter Kit Questions?