Start up supply question

Here we will answer any questions you have about starting a rhinestone business and if it is right for you???

Start up supply question

PostPosted by Maureen » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:14 am

My winsignpro 2012 software and GCC cutter are scheduled to arrive today. I've not purchased any supplies yet. Do I need backer board, work station, etc. to even get started? The "for sure" items I know I will need are sticky flock, transfer tape, stones and brush, but anything else? Should I purchase some less expensive cutting material to get a feel for things first?

As always, thanks for assistance...I think I am going to need it!!

Maureen
Maureen

Re: Start up supply question

PostPosted by debrapayne » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:22 am

Maureen, you will not need backer board. You will need to make a SF station to work on but the beauty of SF is not having to use a backer board. Matt has a video on making your SF station and it is very easy. I would suggest getting some of Matt's new tweezers when you order your stones too. Love those things. I would start on the SF when learning your cutter. No need to start out with something else and then have to change everything to cut the SF. Just make small cuts in the beginning until you get it set to not waste the SF. You will waste some. It is a fact of life but getting those setting right on the cutter is worth what little you will loose. Other than that, sounds like you are ready to get started.
Debra Payne
Designs by Deb
debrapayne

PostPosted by VinylArtStudio2 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:28 am

Maureen...I agree with Deb.....you sound pretty good to roll. I use my tweezers a lot....a great help. Already had my pair though....think they came out of hubby's first aid kit....lol
VinylArtStudio2

PostPosted by Maureen » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:30 am

Found the video! Clever...
Maureen
Maureen

PostPosted by Dixie's Chick » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:18 am

I also stock up on stones, I always order crystal, get what I need and get one extra color, it clearly as a little more out the door, but I now have a good stock of all my colors and can put together anything I need to in a timely manor. I do understand that some people can't but it always saves on shipping to get a little extra and as Liz can tell you it sucks to have to wait on stones for an order.

As for a work station, I think the tray is a great idea and it works fine, I am much happier with a piece of MDF I bought at home depot and covered in flock, I have some larger templates that I need the bigger workstation. It sits on my desk top and can put it away if I need to.
Get a funnel, and I use glass spice jars but others uses other kinds of bottles to store stones.

As for SF and tape, stock up, it goes fast at first and not last as long as you think it will. Deb can tell you, nothing worse than not having some on hand :-)

It can seem like a large investment but I personally like having stock on hand. that may just be me.
-Linda
Sparkle-Gear
Dixie's Chick

PostPosted by Maureen » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:37 am

Is the MDF board just flat or does it have edges to keep the stones from rolling off? Trying to envision...
Maureen
Maureen

PostPosted by debrapayne » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:33 pm

I am not sure about the board Linda is talking about but a flat surface is fine. The stones don't roll much on the sticky flock. There is a great idea on the forum about using peg board too.
Debra Payne
Designs by Deb
debrapayne

PostPosted by Gris822 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:25 pm

Dixie, what is MDF board? My sticky flock station is on a cookie sheet but I need a bigger one. Thanks!
Gris822

PostPosted by Gris822 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:26 pm

Oh..its particle board! So cool..I might have to try that. My cookie sheet station is just not cuttin it!
Gris822

PostPosted by debrapayne » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:36 pm

Masonite board works very well also and it is lighter than some of the particle boards. Lowes or Home Depot will cut it for you too!!
Debra Payne
Designs by Deb
debrapayne

PostPosted by Dixie's Chick » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:37 pm

yup, partial board board and the big stores will be happy to cut it for you. :-)
and true deb mine is quite heavy.
-Linda
Sparkle-Gear
Dixie's Chick

PostPosted by Gris822 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:09 pm

Thank you ladies!Now I need to go buy me some more sticky flock to make the station. Does it matter whether its pink, green, or grey?
Gris822

PostPosted by Dixie's Chick » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:29 pm

Yes and no. If most of your templates are in pink, it is nice to have a contrasting station but it is not essential . When i started, pink was the only color available. Pink is easy, marker shows up well on it i personally thing the same of the gray. I have not used the green (not a favorite color) and the blue (favorite color) I find dark SF for writing on more challenging for my ageing eyes.
-Linda
Sparkle-Gear
Dixie's Chick

PostPosted by purpleroses72 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:43 pm

I only have pink SF, but I read somewhere that grey was not a favorite of some because the back of the stones have grey glue and it made it hard to see.
purpleroses72

PostPosted by Dixie's Chick » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:44 pm

Every color SF has "issues" some say gray for the back of the stones, others say green is hard to see on green, blue on blue..that is why it is all personal choice.
-Linda
Sparkle-Gear
Dixie's Chick

Return to TRW Business Starter Kit Questions?