Looking to get into the Bling Business?

Here we will answer any questions you have about starting a rhinestone business and if it is right for you???

Re: Looking to get into the Bling Business?

PostPosted by deborahmcafee » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:41 am

Hi everyone,

I currently own a home based business and I want to start selling rhinestone t-shirts. I have been looking everywhere to find useful information and I stumbled across your site. Can someone provide some assistance on the best way to start... I want to start small and grow with my business. Should I purchase a few templates and a heat press? What next? I already have my state and federal tax id's and resale permits so how could I purchase my supplies on your site on a wholesale basis?

Thanks in advance for any information you could provide?

Deborah
deborahmcafee

PostPosted by j61wade » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:21 am

Welcome to the forum. There are several ways to go but it all is based on your present business. Do you have a cutter or a heatpress. A heatpress is a must regardless of the way to start. As for buying downloads or templates, if you have a cutter and software then you will need to buy download files and material. If you don't have the cutter then buying templates is the quickest way to get into the business. The items that you should purchase are couple different fonts and things related to your market. Keep an eye on the daily specials and collect ideas from the Internet.

There is no two companies alike here. We are do the same thing, Rhinestones, but everyone has different ways of marketing and sales. I'm sure the three queens of the forum will weigh in with their ideas. Deb, Linda and Julie are very versed in the how to's and the TRW crew are very helpful with anything you will need. Check out the videos and the TRW store for all your needs. You can call them and discuss any questions about purchases.
Jay Wade
Custom Rhinestones and Graphics of SWF, Inc.
j61wade

PostPosted by Dixie's Chick » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:58 am

Welcome to the forum.

Jay is correct, a lot will depend on your budget and current business. You don't need a top of the line heat press and certainly pre cut is a good way to go. In the long run a cutter/software and downloads will be the most versitle.
Buy the dollar deals, daily deals if they fit your market and the sunday megadeals are the best way to buy the new files. Have a good read around. there is a ton of information her on the form.
-Linda
Sparkle-Gear
Dixie's Chick

PostPosted by debrapayne » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:27 am

Hi Deborah, Glad you found us. Jay and Linda have both given you some great advice. Everything will hinge on what you can afford to spend to get going. Heat press is the first thing. Gotta have that no matter which way you decide to go. There are alot of heat presses on the market and you don't have to spend a ton of money. Get one with digital readout and timer if at all possible. You can go to town with this, a few precut templates, and some stones and supplies. Check and see how these items sell and what your market may look like. Then it is a matter of putting money back into your business as you go. A cutter and software will be your next big purchase. Again, cutters depend on your budget! Check out US Cutter and see what they have available. WinPC 2012 is a great program and many of us on the forum use it. The great thing is that we have Scott at Rhinestone Designz as a member and he is a guru who is fantastic at helping us along. Getting a cutter and software will save you money in the long run but sometimes it just isn't possible at one time. The pre-cuts will get you going if you choose wisely.
Debra Payne
Designs by Deb
debrapayne

PostPosted by deborahmcafee » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:07 pm

Thanks Debra, Jay and Linda for the replies. I currently purchase items wholesale (purses, belts and jewelry) and resell them. I do specialize in stones, studs and blingy items in my line of business. I love to sparkle, and all things rhinestone. I was in search of a rhinestone birthday t-shirt a few weeks ago and I was having the most difficult time finding something local so I started searching online. I eventually handmade my shirt with supplies from a local craft store. I got a lot of compliments and that started me on my quest to research the business.
Based on your suggestions, I will start with the heatpress purchase and some pre-cuts and work my way up to the cutter and software and download files. I think I understand the precuts and the heatpress, but could someone explain how the cutter/software/downloads work? Also, I am running MAS OSX will that matter with the software I would need to purchase.

Also is there a suggested location to look for decent shirts wholesale?

Thanks for all of the advice. I am so anxious to get started.
deborahmcafee

PostPosted by debrapayne » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:44 pm

When you get precut templates, they are ready to get the stones into, pick up with the hotfix tape and heat press to the shirts. With download files from Matt, you download the design or font which is already to send to the cutter and you cut your own templates which is more econmical. You wind up at the same place except with the precuts, you are paying Matt to cut them out for you so you won't have to have a cutter. software will allow you to create your own designs and make you able to play with different combination or manipulatian of files.
Debra Payne
Designs by Deb
debrapayne

PostPosted by deborahmcafee » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:40 pm

One more question...

I am running a MacBook Pro and I am noticing that most of the software I see is strictly for PC users. Is there anyone using OSX that can suggest a good cutter and software that is compatible with Apple products?

Thanks again for all of your assistance,
Deborah
deborahmcafee

PostPosted by debrapayne » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:44 pm

I have never had a Mac so can't help. Sorry.
Debra Payne
Designs by Deb
debrapayne

PostPosted by Honee » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:37 am

I am getting ready to purchase a cutter and heat press machine and WIN 2012. I am looking at the us sc series and a heat press 15 x 15. Is this cool and what size of sticky flock do I buy? What else do I need?
Honee

PostPosted by Dixie's Chick » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:16 pm

Honee, check out these videos, they will really give you a handle on what you need for supplies. with a 24 inch cutter you can get 24 inch rolls of Sticky flock.
http://www.therhinestoneworld.com/free- ... tone-world
-Linda
Sparkle-Gear
Dixie's Chick

PostPosted by Honee » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:31 pm

Hi I am new to the site and to the business. Can someone please advise me on what all i need to get started. I know a cutter, software, heat press rhinestone tray. What size sticky flock di I need and whatever else that is needed. Im excited but just got to get started. Thanks
Honee

PostPosted by Honee » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:05 pm

Thanks Linda, I am still trying to get use to the site as far as posting remarks and finding the replys.
Honee

PostPosted by Honee » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:14 pm

Thanks Linda for the link for supplies. I bought the 9" wide sticky flock to start out. Is that ok?
Honee

PostPosted by Dixie's Chick » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:22 pm

It will be fine,
I like the wider flock, you will lose about 2 inches for the rollers to hold the material in your cutter (you have a 24 inch cutter?) You can go to the 24, you can always cut off smaller pieces. It is all personal preference.
But don't worry, you will go through it really fast! If you can swing it, order a couple of rolls at a time, you will be surprised at how fast you use it and how much it sucks to not have some on hand :-)
-Linda
Sparkle-Gear
Dixie's Chick

PostPosted by Honee » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:46 pm

ok thanks
Honee

PostPosted by Pinkglam » Sun May 05, 2013 9:51 am

Hello All,
I have read all of the posts in this forum and found them very helpful. I am looking to start with a pre-cut kit and a heat press, but am wondering where is the best place to get t-shirts wholesale to start???
Pinkglam

PostPosted by Dixie's Chick » Sun May 05, 2013 10:09 am

Pink,
Welcome to the forum.
if you have a resale or tax id number there are a whole host of sites to get t shirts, Many like http://www.bodekandrhodes.com/ but there are others, a quick google search for wholesale T shirts will bring them up. If you don't have a reatail/tax id number I like Jiffy shirts, More than wholesale less than retail and they have a fairly good selection of t's
-Linda
Sparkle-Gear
Dixie's Chick

PostPosted by Bridgetg03 » Tue May 07, 2013 12:25 pm

My husband and I are so excited to get a bling T-shirt business going. I think I have an idea of all the supplies/machinery, etc I need, but I really don't know what is a decent cutter. I don't want bottom of the barrel, but at the same time I can't get top of the line starting out. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Bridget
Bridgetg03

PostPosted by Dixie's Chick » Tue May 07, 2013 12:52 pm

Welcome bridget.
You can look at the GCC 24 cutters, good mid priced cutter that will last a long time. US cutter has some great cutters out there, $500+ will get you something in a mid range.
-Linda
Sparkle-Gear
Dixie's Chick

PostPosted by shanae123 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:06 pm

Hey im new, suggestions are welcome. Im starting a bling clothing line. Idk wat items to purchase from the site to help me get started. ?????
shanae123

PostPosted by debrapayne » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:40 am

Welcome. This question will depend a lot of the market you want to attract. Fonts are always a good start. I use fonts more than anything. Watch for the daily deals and build your designs even if you do not have a project for them at the time. The sport packages are a good start also if you want to target the school markets. I know how overwhelming it is when you look at all the designs Matt has but really think about choices that you can use for multiple projects.
Debra Payne
Designs by Deb
debrapayne

Profitability

PostPosted by gchamberlin » Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:31 pm

Hello Everyone. I have decided to make moves to start my own rhinestone business as there is not really one in our area, and I live in an area where youth sports is the same thing as breathing. We do have custom shirt shops but they only screen print or order pre-done designs so they are very limited.

With that in mind I am also in my last course in my Master's Program. I am using the development of my business as a spring board for my last course.

For those who have a bling business, is this something that can be done as just added income, or is the business equivalent to a full time income? What are the biggest challenges?

Any Input would be greatly appreciated.
gchamberlin

PostPosted by Julie » Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:40 pm

That could be a really long winded reply...

Yes there is profit to be made for a side income, but i don't think it really stays as that. You will grow much quicker than you think..
Life is so sweet when you have the perfect weed!
WinPc 2012
UsCutter
Julie

PostPosted by DevonaE » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:04 pm

Just open my box and I dont know where to start, I need the easiest design , and video please help
DevonaE

PostPosted by Dixie's Chick » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:59 pm

Devona,
What did you buy, it could help us point you in the right direction. :-)
-Linda
Sparkle-Gear
Dixie's Chick

PreviousNext

Return to TRW Business Starter Kit Questions?