Looking to get into the Bling Business?

Here we will answer any questions you have about starting a rhinestone business and if it is right for you???

Re: Looking to get into the Bling Business?

PostPosted by debrapayne » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:17 pm

Hi Liz, welcome to the crew. The most expensive items are the cutter and the software to get started. I tend to steer people towards US Cutter for their cutter to start off with. They have some nice entry level cutters that do not cost an arm and leg. Stay aways from the craft cutters or any cutter with less than 24" of cutting space. A lot of us on the forum use the WinPC Sign 2012 software and Scott is the best guru around for helping out with that program. He is a member and great to help us out. The only other thing you will need is your heat press besides what you mentioned. Same thing. You can spend a lot of money or find one that is cheaper and you can upgrade once the sales start coming in. I had my cheapo US CUTTER for over 2 years and just upgraded the first of the year. There are tons of information about different cutters and heat presses and software here in the forum so take a read around and you will hear all kinds of opinions. LOL
Debra Payne
Designs by Deb
debrapayne

PostPosted by cmv75023 » Tue May 15, 2012 9:29 am

Hello Rhinestone World,
I am new to the rhinestone world, And trying to see what the best start up package to purchase? I have a T~Shirt bussiness wanted to add a new line to my bussiness. Help Please

Thank you,
S2R Boutique
cmv75023

PostPosted by Dixie's Chick » Tue May 15, 2012 9:33 am

Welcome!
you have come to the tight place. If you give us a clue in on what you already have we might be able to steer you in a right direction.
Do you have a cutter? software? are you looking to get pre cut templates? what is your current market for t shirts? dance, cheer, baseball?
-Linda
Sparkle-Gear
Dixie's Chick

PostPosted by debrapayne » Tue May 15, 2012 10:39 am

As Linda said, it depends on the market. If you already have a t shirt business, you are probably doing things geared to your market. Sports, custom work and things like that. Offer expanded products in the market you have already set up and then go from there. Let us know how it goes.
Debra Payne
Designs by Deb
debrapayne

PostPosted by tkdtiger » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:47 pm

Hi, im just getting started in the bling business, I have a beauty salon, and i do this out of my house, i bought a SignMax 24" and it came with Winpcsign 2012, im still having trouble with the cutter, now it is stopping in the middle of the design, I'm really doing everything by trail and error, have met some other blingers that have helped me, im doing ok on getting some orders , have gone out to some cheerleading schools, did some trade days, and now i have some craft shows booked, how do i advertize, what is the best way? I have very little capital and i spend on supplies basicly what i am making....got any ideas
tkdtiger

PostPosted by wende » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:49 pm

Hi and welcome, tkdtiger,
To get more business I've found it helpful to give away some of my items, t-shirts, coolers, bags, etc., to friends, customers, family. Along with some business cards of course! At the craft shows, if they ask for a donation make sure you include your contact information along with your item. But the most effective advertising is to wear your own designs...to the grocery store, the bank, the mall, etc. And again...when people ask where you got your shirt, shopping bag, etc...have your card ready or even a quarter page 'ad' which tells a bit about you and what you can do. I assume that you already have a display area set up in your beauty salon...if not, you should. Just some things to think about... Best of luck to you. :-)
wende

PostPosted by debrapayne » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:56 pm

Welcome tiger! It sounds like your cutter is running out of memory before it cuts all of the design. Contact SignMax and get them to help you out. I don't know if you are getting Matt's files but some of them are really large and does better to send smaller batches to the cutter at a time. As for advertising, as Wende said, it sounds silly but giving away a couple of shirts or other things to friends and family with tons of business cards is great. When you go and talk to a cheerleading coach, take her a shirt or other small example of the rhinestone work. Any time, you give somebody something though, be sure to give them a handful of cards to give out. It always amazes me when people call who picked up a card somewhere!! LOL
Debra Payne
Designs by Deb
debrapayne

PostPosted by mschap1012 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:20 am

I have a heat press already 15x15, I have a cpl cricuts personel and expression with SCAL I know how it works cause we use it for vinly. But we are wanting to learn to cut for the rhinestones cut our own. So where do I start learning the pressure and setting on it (cricut) I have looked and cant seem to find any info on that. We may end up getting bigger cutter but this will have to do for now.
So looking at how to make our own templates.HELP
mschap1012

PostPosted by Dixie's Chick » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:53 am

Welcome to the forum. I am not sure I am going to be of any help. A little looking on YouTube and there are a few video with fairy cut software and the circut cutter. Maybe start with you tube and see what works for you or see if that info helps. Fairy cut is put out by signmax as craft cutter software.

That said, it may take more then you want to spend to get your circut cutter up and running for sticky flock. I hope someone comes along with some info.
-Linda
Sparkle-Gear
Dixie's Chick

PostPosted by jenhayleesmom » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:34 am

Hello every one,

I'm new to the "bling" world and very interested in getting started but I'm curious is it really as profitable as it's put out to be?

I want to start doing the t-shirts for fundraisers and we have a lot of high schools around the area. I'm considering making a couple of purchases but I'm not sure now, I thought about the Major league start up kit and the ultimate sports package pre-cut but should I go with these start up kits or go with the blank material and cut my own? I already see things I'd like to change like the sports words I would want straight not rounded like they come. I'd rather put those on the bottom instead of the top like you do it in the videos.

I'm good at learning the software so I'm not worried about that, I'm just not sure if I want to fool with it right now. I just wonder which way would be the cheapest way to go but I'm also thinking of the long run and whether I'd regret not getting the cutter first.. I have a cricut expression but I know it's not capable of handling the jobs I have in mind

So I guess after all that my two questions are, is there really a possiblity for good profits? and should I purchase the pre-cut templates or cut my own? any advice is appreciated

Jennifer
jenhayleesmom

PostPosted by jenhayleesmom » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:59 am

mschap1012 wrote:I have a heat press already 15x15, I have a cpl cricuts personel and expression with SCAL I know how it works cause we use it for vinly. But we are wanting to learn to cut for the rhinestones cut our own. So where do I start learning the pressure and setting on it (cricut) I have looked and cant seem to find any info on that. We may end up getting bigger cutter but this will have to do for now.

I hate to be the one to break the bad news but due to the law suit between Provocraft and Scal, also Make the Cut, the software no longer supports the use with a Cricut. I have a cricut expression and I'm very disappointed that you can no longer use Scal with the machine.

If I decide to, I'll be upgrading my machine and it will not be a provocraft product. But any ways I just wanted to give you the heads up because Provocraft can sue any one that continues to use these products because it goes against their copy righted materials. You can google Provocraft law suit with Sure Cuts alot to find more information on it,

The creators of Sure Cuts alot have already come out with a Sure Cuts alot 3 that doesn't support cricut machines, but does support Silhouette Cameo and others...
jenhayleesmom

PostPosted by Dixie's Chick » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:42 am

I think only you can decide your budget. You can use the 1.9 font to make straight words instead of curved. The fonts are very versitle.

Is it profitable? Yes, but you have to work for it. Some of it will fall in your lap, other things you are going to have to actively peruse the work. There is plenty out there, no doubt.

I personally started with pre cut and sold some items from that. If it were me? I would do the filled M's with the filled ball sports pack and and the 1.9 Ariel font if I were going to do ore cut. It is not a bad way to find out if this is going to sell for you.

The advantage to software is the ability to manipulate files and make your own mock up. You have to make samples with the pre cut or take the pictures off TRW. Download are cheaper than ore cut, Sunday sales make them an even better buy. But you have to invest in cutter etc...

I know that seams wishy washy, but, there you have it. Only you can decide what your budget will allow.

I will also add, it will take a. It of time to get "good" at making bling stuff and I know I did, I gave away a lot of stuff and still do. Nothing looks better than rhinestones in hand :-)
-Linda
Sparkle-Gear
Dixie's Chick

PostPosted by honeyboo » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:57 am

jenhayleesmom wrote:
mschap1012 wrote:I have a heat press already 15x15, I have a cpl cricuts personel and expression with SCAL I know how it works cause we use it for vinly. But we are wanting to learn to cut for the rhinestones cut our own. So where do I start learning the pressure and setting on it (cricut) I have looked and cant seem to find any info on that. We may end up getting bigger cutter but this will have to do for now.

I hate to be the one to break the bad news but due to the law suit between Provocraft and Scal, also Make the Cut, the software no longer supports the use with a Cricut. I have a cricut expression and I'm very disappointed that you can no longer use Scal with the machine.

If I decide to, I'll be upgrading my machine and it will not be a provocraft product. But any ways I just wanted to give you the heads up because Provocraft can sue any one that continues to use these products because it goes against their copy righted materials. You can google Provocraft law suit with Sure Cuts alot to find more information on it,

The creators of Sure Cuts alot have already come out with a Sure Cuts alot 3 that doesn't support cricut machines, but does support Silhouette Cameo and others...

I have the cricut and SCAL2 and I still can use them. SCAL no longer offers support for the Cricut.You can use it, just can't upgrade to SCAL3 and you will not be able to get support. Also if you use SCAL with the Cricut it voids warranty with Provocraft but my Cricut is over 3 years old so I am out of the warranty anyway..I have not had any problems...BUT.....I am shopping for a bigger and more professional cutter....I am with Jenhayleesmom "it will not be a provocraft product".
honeyboo

PostPosted by Aliesmom » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:20 pm

On the videos where you are bruising in the stones what is the material that you are putting the rhinestones on once you pull it up with the transfer tape. Is it different for tshirts and decals?
Aliesmom

PostPosted by Dixie's Chick » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:57 pm

Aliesmom, welcome to the forum.
Once the stones are on the transfer tape, you can put the stones that are on the tape on a variety of items including t shirts and decal material. you will need a heat press to make that work for you.
-Linda
Sparkle-Gear
Dixie's Chick

PostPosted by Aliesmom » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:38 am

Ok so if I'm not looking to put it on to a tshirt right away what can I put it on until I'm ready? Like if I want to make some up ahead of time? Next ? I found a package on EBAY that includes a us cutter with stand, vinyl, and CorelDRAW X3 Graphics Suite OEM and a heat press it seems like a much better deal than purchasing everything separately, my ? is has anyone worked with this software? Does it work with cutting the sticky flock etc?
Aliesmom

PostPosted by Dixie's Chick » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:06 pm

I personally find that if you want to make stuff ahead of time you have to have a good way to store pre made designs including putting the transfers between sheets of cardboard. the stones tend to shift and then you end up having to move a lot of stones before pressing if you don't store them well. it also ties up a lot of your supplies including tape and stones. Let me tell you it is not a lot of fun to scrape a design and sort stones. It also somewhat defeats the idea of picking custom colors.

And a reminder that Matt does not allow you to sell his designs as transfers. there has been a few sites in china that have "stolen" his designs for MASSIVE resale, so WATER MARK your stuff. it is in your best interest to NOT have these places access to swipe your pictures. post22728.html#p22728

I know nothing about the software. you will most likely need some kind of macro add on to make rhinestone designs if that is what you want to do, make your own. Deb should come along and have an opinion on corel 3 and a macro to go with it.
-Linda
Sparkle-Gear
Dixie's Chick

PostPosted by Aliesmom » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:06 pm

ok one more, lol so if I am looking to put it directly on a Tshirt for instance, I pick up the stones with the transfer tape place them directly on the tshirt then use the heat press to press, then pull the transfer tape off? Is this the right process? and it would be the same for the decals as well?
Aliesmom

PostPosted by Dixie's Chick » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:12 pm

Here is a video on pressing a transfer, it should answer a lot of your questions. I also highly recommend watching Matts help tutorial videos on the TRW website when it comes back up. watching the videos on the rhinestone world you tube channel. there is a lot in there a lot to learn, Matt does a great job of teaching,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_ukBiePenw
-Linda
Sparkle-Gear
Dixie's Chick

PostPosted by Aliesmom » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:41 am

Linda I watched some of the videos and I have one more question. what is the material that he is putting the transfers on to? In some of the videos he is placing the completed rhinestone transfers onto some other type of material.
Aliesmom

PostPosted by Dixie's Chick » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:05 pm

Alie, 'in the video above, he is pressing a transfer (stones picked up from sticky flock template) and transferring them on the tape to a tank top.
If you have not watched these videos, you may find some more answers here http://thedecalworld.com/bling/free-rhi ... tone-world
-Linda
Sparkle-Gear
Dixie's Chick

PostPosted by Aliesmom » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:48 pm

Linda,
Im sorry if im being confusing. in the very beginning of this video you can see that he is pulling the rhinestone transfer off of some type of material. What is the material that he is using? Does that make sense?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgQoTF7e ... e=youtu.be
Aliesmom

PostPosted by Dixie's Chick » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:57 pm

I think so, Transfer tape comes as 2 pieces stuck together. The clear tape and the plastic white backer. You peal them apart, use the clear sticky part to pick up the stones and then put it back on the backer sheet until you are ready to use it. Then you separate the 2 again, place the tape, sticky side to the garment and press. while it is still hot, (the tape will be cool enough to touch) you peal the tape off the garment and put it back on the white backer sheet to reuse until it is no longer sticky (or in my case has too much dog hair in the way :-) )
-Linda
Sparkle-Gear
Dixie's Chick

PostPosted by valerieclarisse » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:48 am

Hi!
I am a stay at home mom and a single mom looking to starting my own business. I plan on collecting items throughout the year to get it started as I am on a budget. What is the first item anyone can recommend I purchase first? Second? Third?
by the way- this will be an addition to my bow-tique, I don't know if that changes anything or sends me to start in a new direction. Thanks ahead of time! :)
valerieclarisse

PostPosted by Dixie's Chick » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:10 am

Welcome..
Kf you don't have a heat press it is a must, a home iron, just can't insure that stones will stick. Pre cut templates are great and I recommend a stone starter kit to check out and get some of al the colors. Sunday something goes on sale. The daily dollar deals are great as is the daily deal (50%) off. Even if you don't have equipment yet, those dollar deals are great. If you do have a heat press, a cutter will in the long run safe you $$$.
-Linda
Sparkle-Gear
Dixie's Chick

PreviousNext

Return to TRW Business Starter Kit Questions?