Looking to get into the Bling Business?

Here we will answer any questions you have about starting a rhinestone business and if it is right for you???

Re: Looking to get into the Bling Business?

PostPosted by tburns » Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:57 pm

Good evening from East Texas. :) So I am venturing into the Bling business. I'm really nervous because all I have is the Silhouette Cameo so far and not so sure what my next step should be. I really would like to design and cut my own templates but the more I read, I think that I should start out with already made templates. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

The confused newbie :?
tburns

PostPosted by Dixie's Chick » Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:44 pm

Welcome!
I think starting with a few lets get going templates might be a good idea. Downloads are super easy, but you will have to take some time to get your cutter dialed in right. Designing is a different animal. It takes some skill and some time to figure out. The TRW $ deals and daily deals are a great place to start.

Read, watch videos and read, read, read :-)
-Linda
Sparkle-Gear
Dixie's Chick

PostPosted by txspoiled » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:52 pm

Hi, My name is Terri. In the next few days I will be buying the starter kit with extra S/F as I have I have already spent a small fortune (all at BF50% off) in downloads to get my t-shirt business started. Brand new to this so I don't have any programs. Am I going to need to purchase any other software programs to work with the TRW programs?? If I do what are programs do you recommend are the best. Like Coral Draw? and if so What version?? Do I need?? So many questions. Thanks
txspoiled

PostPosted by Dixie's Chick » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:40 pm

If you are getting the cameo, it comes with some software which you can use. You will need Inkscape (free) to break up the larger files so the cameo software can handle them.

If you want other software, corel is a great way to go, get the most up to date you can afford, the edu version is fairly inexpensive, but you get no updates. What you buy is what you get. Add the wizard and the cut plug in...good to go. None of that is necessary to get going, but thinking to growing, it's a good move. I always feel like your true money maker is your software. If you don't have one, you must get a heat press, a home iron will not work for the long haul.
-Linda
Sparkle-Gear
Dixie's Chick

PostPosted by blingmetothemoon » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:40 pm

I was also looking to buy the Silhouette Cameo. I currently have a cutter and use WInPCSign and find it somewhat difficult to use and often finicky. Is this software more user-friendly?
blingmetothemoon

PostPosted by Dixie's Chick » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:46 pm

Not knocking, but the SDE is a step back in software from Winpc. Its a craft software vs a full graphics program. you can get a cameo to work with your winpc its drivers are available in winpc, it too has limitations including pinch rollers that are fixed and a 12 inch wide cutting surface. You could take those $$ and put it towards a better cutter if you currently have a low end cutter.
-Linda
Sparkle-Gear
Dixie's Chick

PostPosted by blingmetothemoon » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:40 pm

Interesting, Linda. I have a slightly larger cutter from US Cutter.
blingmetothemoon

PostPosted by Mnovosad » Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:42 am

I am very interested in starting out in the bling business but have no idea where to begin. Is there a magical list that includes everything I need to get started? I mean everything from cutters to software to transfer tape?? There is so much info on the website, I get a little overwhelmed :) Thanks!!
Mnovosad

PostPosted by Dixie's Chick » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:55 am

Welcome to the forum.
On the TRW home page on the top tool bar are form tutorial videos, check those out. They will give you an good idea of how things work and what you need to get going. http://therhinestoneworld.com
-Linda
Sparkle-Gear
Dixie's Chick

PostPosted by treeniejeanie » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:05 am

Hi All, I so very excited :D I am waiting on my Jaguar IV cutter and Fusion Heat Press to arrive today or tomorrow. I also bought a started kit and the CorelDRAW and TRW Wizard. The problem is I'm not sure where to start. I have my coupon for $ 500.00 to spend on template downloads but not sure what to purchase. My main target is sports and schools. I live in Georgia in Cobb County which is known for it's baseball so I'm going to send emails to the little league organzations to see if I can sell my shirts at their parks but I need to know what sells the best and what is the best way of marketing. I NEED TO KNOW EVERYTHING I know nothing. LOL
treeniejeanie

PostPosted by Julie » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:52 pm

Oh Treenie, you might have to take a few baby steps lol

Or have you been stoning before? It will take a while for you to perfect the art of stoning lol, days maybe longer but you want to be able to produce a amazing designs on good quality tees, which you will need to do some testing on. Wash test might be the most important thing. You don't want stones falling off here and there and for bad news to spread before you even start..

As far as what designs!! Thats a tuff one, I do tons of Baseball gear, but what sells to my customers might not what be what works for you. Play around a little and get to know your software, watch the videos and follow some steps, maybe take a local school logo and just work with it and come up with some designs. If nothing else it will teach you a great deal and give you a little more experience.;)
Life is so sweet when you have the perfect weed!
WinPc 2012
UsCutter
Julie

PostPosted by tamsglitz&glam » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:38 am

Hi, my name is tammy and im going to try the bling business I'am going to purchase my starter kit and after all the research and trying to find the least expensive route to take i have major headaches by the end of the day...lol...well anyway my question is can someone give me some advice on which of the starter kits would best suit me for the best price, and i would like to know the pro's and con's of the cameo silhouette printer.
tamsglitz&glam

PostPosted by Dixie's Chick » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:18 am

Welcome to the forum. If you want help with the starter kits call the office, they will help you pick what will be best for you.

My best advice is don't cheap out on your software. You don't need top of the line equipment including heat press and cutter (TRW can help with that also) but I always feel like your best investment is in software. The more you can manipulate and create design the better you will be able to make customers happy.
-Linda
Sparkle-Gear
Dixie's Chick

PostPosted by Spirit Sparkle » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:58 pm

Hi Tammy,

Linda is right! I tried to limp along and did for a good while with what I had but once I took a step up in cutter (sorry I don't have the Cameo, so I can't help there) and software, it was like night and day. I agree don't cheap out on software, it will stay with you even when you change cutters and presses. So get the best software you can afford, realize there will be the frustration of the learning curve but later on you will be SO much more happy.

I am using the WINPC Pro 2012 right now and it's good but I want Corel and the Wizard now as I am getting use to WINPC and I can see the advantages of Corel and Wizard from Matt's videos.
Maggie
Spirit Sparkle
Spirit Sparkle

PostPosted by scrapchris » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:14 am

Hello!

I am a silhouette cameo owner who stumbled upon this site while seeking out information regarding cutting iron-on transfer material with the cameo and I am so excited! We are taking a group (of 17!) to Disney this spring and I wanted to make matching shirts. I created my design in Photoshop Elements and Silhouette Cameo Designer Edition and used the Siser Easy Weed transfer material. I am so hooked! I have received a lot of compliments on my work and am playing with the idea of making this into a business for myself. I am anxiously awaiting my first shipment of supplies to play with rhinestones as well. I don't have a lot of start-up money available and I have no idea how to go about finding customers.

Is there anyone out there who started doing a few items here and there and turned it into a business? Any thoughts on where to start?
scrapchris

PostPosted by pjmom60 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:15 pm

I am just starting too. But someone on here suggested some advice: give things away (and be sure to put a business card with it). And wear your own product! I gave away a blinged up apron for my hairdresser using Matt's free comb and scissors template and added her name. Now 2 other hairdressers want one and I'm charging $25. They didn't blink an eye! So, thanks, Matt, for the free design! Best of luck with your endeavors.
pjmom60

PostPosted by tricks27 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:03 am

HELP! After 24 solid hours of wanting to rip my hair out, I've finally gotten the GCC Expert 24 to cut. Except...it doesn't cut. It appears to be cutting the design into the sticky flock, but when I remove the SF there is no penetration from the blade through the SF. Just some surface scratching. I've tried adjusting the blade but that doesn't work.

Second, I received the 30-day trial of CorelDraw x6. After getting my design all ready to go and keeping my fingers crossed, I get an error message stating CorelDraw is not responding and must close. What am I doing wrong? And I still can't figure out where the heck the TRW Stone Wizard is. Looks like it installed along with Corel but I can't locate an icon to open it. Is it an independent program that can be used for design/print?

Yes, I know I'm a hot mess. I would appreciate any tips, tricks, or recommendations anyone can provide before I rip the blade out of the cutter and gouge my eyes out. :evil:

Signed~
Brand-spanking new to the rhinestone world and ready to quit!
Tammy
~ Killen Me SofTees ~
tricks27

PostPosted by Dixie's Chick » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:05 am

Welcome,
Sounds like to need to adjust the downforce in your cutter to get through the sticky flock. Every cutter is different, so you will have to play with it. We recommend cutting 1 letter at a time until you get the setting where you want them.

For the macro....tools---> options--->commands. Files drop down (macro) find the wizard, drag it out to the desktop, click ok, the. You can dock it so it will be there when you open corel

I don't know your error message, I would google it and see what kind of answers you can find. Corel is so widely used it is easy to find help videos and what error messages might mean.

Don't quit, honestly, there is a huge learning curve to get your equipment set up and spurning, anyone who tells you otherwise, is either Matt, or lying. Everyone here will tell you that getting your set up to be just where you want it took some time.

Once it's all up and running, you will be fine :-)
-Linda
Sparkle-Gear
Dixie's Chick

PostPosted by tricks27 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:54 pm

Thanks Linda. I finally figured out I needed something called VLCD and downloaded it. I've tried increasing the blade force (it's now at 200) in VLCD but seem to think that might not be right. I have a template printing right now so we shall see. Otherwise, I'm going to have to buy stock in sticky flock at the rate I'm wasting it.
Tammy
~ Killen Me SofTees ~
tricks27

PostPosted by Spirit Sparkle » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:49 am

Before you do a lot of cutting, use the test cut on the GCC. It will do a small box with a cross in it. If that cuts, then cut a letter. The test cut can be done right after you set the origin point. My GCC seems to like about 148 range. Don't worry about a double cut here, you are just testing and can fine tune later. Just set it up on the VLCD.
Maggie
Spirit Sparkle
Spirit Sparkle

PostPosted by tricks27 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:25 pm

I tried the test cut and after the 100th time (maybe a slight exaggeration), it finally did it. However, I still can't cut a full design out of GCC and I put the blade force all the way to 250. At that force, it did a partial cut of the template but not completely and only on one side of the sticky flock. I am a complete novice, so now I'm heading to tech support at GCC. Hoping that resolves the issue since I'm wasting sticky flock like it's free. Thanks for the advice...keeping my fingers crossed that today proves fruitful.
Tammy
~ Killen Me SofTees ~
tricks27

PostPosted by Spirit Sparkle » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:38 pm

Don't give up ;-) I was there. Linda or Deb always say to make one adjustment at a time so you can keep an idea of what might be working. Silly question, you have the 60 deg blade? Have you reset the blade, as stupid as I'm sounding, I had to reset my blade measuring it to a credit card. When I took the blade out of the holder I had SF fuzz that I cleaned off it (I evidently wasn't cutting but shaving the stuff). It took some trys and reading some of the posts before I got it (I'll see if I still have the doc I made of the posts).

Don't forget to talk to TRW, they sell the machines and they might have some insights even if you didn't buy it there. You will be using their designs and stones, Matt and the crew are pretty awesome in trying to get you up and running.
Maggie
Spirit Sparkle
Spirit Sparkle

Previous

Return to TRW Business Starter Kit Questions?